Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's right folks, it's still happening. This years race will take place on Sunday, March 14th 2010. 18 years consecutive puts us at the forefront of Legacy races.

This years race is a benefit for the Placer Foothills Mountain Bike Team, the local aspiring high school mountain bike team at Placer High School in Auburn. We thought it would be nice to help get this worthwhile organization off the ground so we will be giving them the lions share of the proceeds from this event. FATRAC has been the traditional recipient of funds from the race, but in light of State Parks lack of staff to facilitate any trailwork, we thought we would look for another worthy cause this year. We will likely return to some sort of trail based fundraiser next year.

After much wrangling with State Parks it looks like we have the go ahead for this years race. As you know State Parks is hurting for money and they have increased their event fees and imposed parking fees at most venue sites. We are going to absorb the increase in special event fees and have negotiated a decrease in parking fees from $10.00, to $5.00 per car, so car pool! All persons, racing or spectating will have to pay to park, it sucks, but it was the best we could do.

As usual we will have a ton of swag and hopefully a couple of complete bikes to give away. Those of you that have done the race in prior years know we are the Swag Kings!

I just checked on the 6 week weather forecast and it calls for sub tropical temps and plenty of sunshine, so break out your short sleeve jerseys and shorts and get ready to race!

You can register online by going to www.auburnbikeworks.com and clicking on the Cool Mountain Bike Race link or by calling the shop at 530-885-3861. Most likely your local shop will have entry forms as well. If you would like to volunteer to help out, go ahead and give the shop a call and we will get your info.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
How cool is Cool?

How cool is Cool? I love the Auburn area and I'd like to retire around there. But I don't want to start a big mortgage all over again. Prices are much cheaper in Cool. Why? I have not been there in nearly 10 years. Looking at homes online it seems like a big equestrian haven, yet they put on this race every year. I'd love to photograph the race but that will depend on my knees.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wish this race were still held in Frebruary, ensuring a complete mudfest. I'm sure it could still be very muddy in March, but back in the 90's when I attended these races, that's what made the race so fun. It's a great place for spectators as well. I hope that the mud pit along the road is still there, as well as the finish line creek/ditch crossing. Watching people endo into the pit or the ditch are priceless kodak moments.

·
time to climb
239 Posts
I was just thinking it's time to start laying plans for this year's Coolest 24 and was excited to see this thread. Damn, time flies! I remember several years ago volunteering to help the day it snowed. Ever since then I haven't missed riding it. Glad to hear proceeds will benefit the local High School team. Nice work on the parking fees Sean, thanks. This is a fun event. Looking forward to seeing everyone there again.

Paulie

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes, if my memory serves me right...

Other than back in 98 (or 97?) when there was actually guys in wetsuits at the bottom of Knickerbocker....the snow race (in March) was the worst ever weather conditions in 18 years.

iWiLRiDe said:
OMG, that's exactly how I remember it! I guess some things never change=)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roger___ said:
Other than back in 98 (or 97?) when there was actually guys in wetsuits at the bottom of Knickerbocker....the snow race (in March) was the worst ever weather conditions in 18 years.
Ahh the DART year, very fond memories of setting that one up. You should have seen the head Rangers face when I told her it was all good, we were going to have the Drowning Accident Rescue Team up from Sacramento to train for swift water recoveries that day.:eekster: I think that was 2001, but they all blend together......

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
In.

2006 (endo pics above were from that one) was my first mtb race and my time riding at Cool. How can one not be hooked on Cool after that?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It was 98! Thank god for the people in the wetsuits at the bottom of Knickerbocker!

Back then i was only 5tf and weighed maybe 90 pounds. I got pulled down river because I couldn't take the current. They saved me, AND MY BIKE!

Roger___ said:

·
Registered
883 Posts
iWiLRiDe said:
I wish this race were still held in Frebruary, ensuring a complete mudfest. I'm sure it could still be very muddy in March, but back in the 90's when I attended these races, that's what made the race so fun. It's a great place for spectators as well. I hope that the mud pit along the road is still there, as well as the finish line creek/ditch crossing. Watching people endo into the pit or the ditch are priceless kodak moments.
Last year by the time I started lap #3, it was soupy mud in many places and raining fairly hard.... but I know what you mean...year before last I needed sunscreen. In March you never know....or May for that matter, as those of us who did Coolest 24 last year can attest to:D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah right.....

mike thompson said:
Hey Sean are you racing this year? :thumbsup:
Funny thing, Andy Olmstead and I were supposed to switch at some point and he would do all the race day stuff and I would race. That was 8 years ago.;)
No worries, I like being wet, freezing my ass off and running around for 12 hours!

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Weather Forecast is Out for Race Day!

Light Snow
Feels Like:
14 °F High 10 Low -12
Barometer:
29.6 in and falling
Humidity:
68 %
Visibility:
7 mi
Dewpoint:
7 °F
Wind:
VAR 1 mph
Sunrise:
8:17 AM
Sunset:
5:51 PM
Currently 14°
High: 10° Low: -12°

·
Auburn Bike Works
106 Posts
Sean Allan said:
Funny thing, Andy Olmstead and I were supposed to switch at some point and he would do all the race day stuff and I would race. That was 8 years ago.;)
No worries, I like being wet, freezing my ass off and running around for 12 hours!
Well I wont be racing this year, so you can ride around for 2 hours wet and freezing and I'll run around all day. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts