Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to make my own as I couldn't find any suitable chainguide for a 28t front ring ran in the granny position with a bashguard in the big ring position on a 2x10 crank.

I was pretty happy with how it turned out. It's perfectly dimensioned for this bike, chainring, crank and rear cluster combination. There's no real adjustability, but its not necessary for this application.

Full write-up on how to make it here

·
Registered
12 Posts
So when are you going to start making & selling these chain guides to us. :D

I just bought a RaceFace Wide-Narrow 34t chainring to mount to a set of XTR M970 cranks. I was plaining on using and XT/XTR 11-34 9 speed cassette with a XTR short cage rear derailleur. I'm in the valley of the sun area and a 1x9 should work here. I tried a SS and I'm way to fat, out of shape & old for a SS.

AZ

·
ACHOO
4,454 Posts

I'm unfamiliar with the Raceface chainring, but if your rear derailleur is clutched you may not need a chain guide. I know that the taller teeth on the Wolftooth chainrings don't require a guide if your RD is clutched.

BTW 34T is on the aggressive side for 1X ratios, so you can't be that out of shape or "fat". :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big problem with 1x9 setups without a chain guide is that there are no off-the-shelf 9 speed clutch rear derailleurs. However. you can use a shimano 10spd clutch derailleur with a sram 9 speed shifter.

At the end of the day, I think a chain guide (if light) is good extra insurance no matter which way you go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts