Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of Avid mech. 185 disc brakes. I want to use them on my new 2006 5 spot. The rear rotor is just under 1/8" from hitting the seat/chain stays. It fits but it's close. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs, so the extra size shouldn't be overkill. Should this be a problem or should I just use it. I could go to a 160mm, but I'd need to buy a rotor and 160mm caliper mount.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how close is too close

tscheezy said:
No worries. They always look a bit close in back (I run 190's) but they won't ever rub.
I checked with a hex wrench and it's 2mm between the weld on the dropout and the rotor, which is the closed place, The chainstay has a hair more space. How close is too close?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Rubbing is too close. Ride the bike for a while and then take a peek at the weld that is the highest point and closest to the rotor. If you see any scrape marks from the rotor, we can reevaluate the situation. There are lots of people out there with the exact same setup, and based on their collective experience, it's really not an issue. Think about this: 2mm is the rotor's thickness. The typical pad/rotor clearance is about 0.5 mm. If the rotor managed to move a full 2 mm to the side, it would rub HORRIFICALLY in the caliper, not just scrape the pad a little. I sort of doubt that you are going to get the rotor to move that much unless your rear wheel's axle breaks.

If for some reason there is innapropriate touching, Turner will fix you up right. For now I'd say ride the bike. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.