Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know that a bunch of you (MellowCat, Padre) have broken these... I've got a set on my Soulcraft Plowboy that I haven't broken, but I have managed to slightly round out the square taper hole on the left arm. At least that's the theory because no manner of proper torquing and blue loctite will keep the thing from staying tight after a few rides. Any chance I could've rounded the Ti spindle on my RF BB...?

Anyway, if I remember correctly, I think that most of the threads I saw about the RF turbine crank failures showed broken drive side arms. So, I'm thinking that some of you may have a perfectly good, 180mm, left side arm sitting in the bottom of a parts box. If so, any chance you'd want to part with it?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, if I can't make this work, I may have a nice 180mm, black drive side for someone ;)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Try making some shims out of an old tape measure blade (the cheap 3 or 6 ft pocket tapes work best). I have been able to keep using a wallowed out crank arm for a couple more years with two such shims (place them like this: | _ ).

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Or you could liberally apply JB Weld to the spindle and liberally apply said magic JB Weld to the crank bolt.....it works great until you need it to come off... :)

I had a buddy do this to an XTR crank arm / XTR bb on a Trek 9.8 OCLV......it wasnt too long after the frame broke.......so they sawed the spindle off so they could send the frame to trek for replacement.... :D

sorry this info is (probably/hopefully) useless to you , but its the silliest thing i ever saw in regards to your situation

-Boz

·
Registered
885 Posts
sorry...

RF kept my broken ones or I would have one to offer!

Did you try calling the RF guy(he was cool to deal with on the phone)? I know he had some arms, but no complete sets of 180's. I think all of the black ones were gone too, so you may end up with a funky color combo.

I did love those cranks, too bad they broke!

MC

CCSS said:
So, I know that a bunch of you (MellowCat, Padre) have broken these... I've got a set on my Soulcraft Plowboy that I haven't broken, but I have managed to slightly round out the square taper hole on the left arm. At least that's the theory because no manner of proper torquing and blue loctite will keep the thing from staying tight after a few rides. Any chance I could've rounded the Ti spindle on my RF BB...?

Anyway, if I remember correctly, I think that most of the threads I saw about the RF turbine crank failures showed broken drive side arms. So, I'm thinking that some of you may have a perfectly good, 180mm, left side arm sitting in the bottom of a parts box. If so, any chance you'd want to part with it?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, if I can't make this work, I may have a nice 180mm, black drive side for someone ;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas ;)

The SS Boz said:
Or you could liberally apply JB Weld to the spindle and liberally apply said magic JB Weld to the crank bolt.....it works great until you need it to come off... :)

I can't say that the thought of JB Weld or Red Loctite hadn't crossed my mind! On the other hand, Shiggy's suggestion of shimming the crankarm sounds very plausible, and I'll probably try it if I can't find a new (used) left arm.

Thanks, everyone.

CCSS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.