Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I go with a more "free-ridey" setup on an HD, what rear shock would I need at my weight? I'm 190 lbs. I'd probably need a medium frame. Right now, I'm on a Totem coil front and DHX 5.0 coil rear (8" of travel). Not sure an RP23 or Monarch will cut it at my weight. Maybe a DHX air?

Was thinking about building up a frame and putting my Totem on it as well. I know it'll be heavier, but sounds like Rb is running the 66 on a large successfully and the geo is OK. Anyone try the Totem on the HD?

Also, any successful 2 ring setups with a bash guard? Does E-13 have a bearing mounted setup that'll cut it?

I huck a fair amount of gaps and drops, including the ones in JoeBMX's videos, was wondering how this setup would work for the fat boyz like me. Looking for a more pedal friendly and flickable setup than my VP-Free. Park riding would be a bonus.

Thanks.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Your weight really shouldnt be an issue for any of the shocks listed. I'm 180lbs plus clothes and gear and did OK with an RP23. The Monarch would be better and would recommend a RS vivid coil (Or DHX I suppose). I don't really see the totem as a problem either, as long as you have the tapered steerer tube version.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm 220lb. Running HD with 180mm in front.
The stock RP23 works well, but you may want to switch to a low volume sleeve or shim the canister. With it at standard I can bottom the shock out too easily. I run the shock with the propedal on and at 245psi.
I am using 36/24 front with a ethirteen heim 2, which has been working fine. The roller design is ok, not super smooth, but it tucks in nicely and keeps the chain on and prevents it from slapping around. A lot of people seem to be running the Blackspire Stinger. The guide I'd like to try out on the Mojo HD is the Gamut 2 ring, as the roller is really quiet and super smooth, but its kinda pricey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.