·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'm aware of for triple MTB cranks available in 180mm lengths:
* Shimano XT
* Shimano XTR
* Race Face Atlas

Any others, especially in the XT price range?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zanetti said:
Profile Racing-

Available in 177, 180, 182, 185, 190....
Very interesting! I may have to try the 190's. The price is great for >180mm, especially if you've already got some rings you can use. I wonder what the weight is like, compared to XT? They certainly look tough, and with my leg length I'm not too concerned about Q-factor.
Profile Race Cranks

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
With a Ti spindle, there isn't that much of a weight penalty. Maybe 150 grams over Deore XT.

The arms in the below photo are 175mm.

Just add in the weight of the spider and chainrings.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Zanetti said:
With a Ti spindle, there isn't that much of a weight penalty. Maybe 150 grams over Deore XT.

The arms in the below photo are 175mm.

Just add in the weight of the spider and chainrings.
What cranks are those? Profiles? My Profiles don't have 'Powerlite' stamped on them. Also, my 190mm Profiles come in at about 1400-1800g with the Ti spindle...almost double your weight. That was with spider and rings, but I doubt that comes in at 800g. :confused:

Anyway, yea they're heavy. But given that they're about half the price of Zinn, High Sierra, or TA Carmina cranks, they're worth it.

Another set of cranks to consider that might be in the right price range are Surly 'Mr Whirly' cranks. They go up to 185's and have a replaceable spider.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
They were manufactured by Profile for the GT bmx brand Powerlite. Other than the name embossed on them, they're nearly identical to Profile crank arms.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rotmilky said:
What cranks are those? Profiles? My Profiles don't have 'Powerlite' stamped on them. Also, my 190mm Profiles come in at about 1400-1800g with the Ti spindle...almost double your weight. That was with spider and rings, but I doubt that comes in at 800g. :confused:

Anyway, yea they're heavy. But given that they're about half the price of Zinn, High Sierra, or TA Carmina cranks, they're worth it.

Another set of cranks to consider that might be in the right price range are Surly 'Mr Whirly' cranks. They go up to 185's and have a replaceable spider.
So, which is it, 1400 g (3.1 lb) or 1800 g (4.0 lb)? Either way is heavy. :eekster:

I'll check out the Mr. Whirlies, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.