Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wanderer
855 Posts
I really don't think you will notice a difference.

I had a pair of 180s laying around so switched out my old 175s just to do it.

I never noticed anything and I ride my road bike with 172.5s. Can't tell the difference between them.

At 6' 5" I'm sure the 180s are better for your height but I wouldn't buy a pair just to do it unless your old ones are dead.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
While very short folks will notice if their cranks are too long, tall folks usually don't really notice a real (or any) difference when they switch to longer cranks.

I'm sure others will post saying it made a difference for them. In the end it's your call whether you believe that a slightly less than 3% increase in crank arm length will matter to you.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
crashtestdummy said:
Going from 175's to 180's made a big difference for me, as did going to 29" wheels.
I had a discussion with this at the LBS in the context of BMX riders. They ride VERY long cranks. Their take was you get more leverage. My retort was that you can correct for this with gearing. But they kept talking about getting ahead easier with longer cranks.

What I think they were describing was that you can express more power over an effective range with longer cranks. You will have less "dead spots", that is the top and bottom of the pedal stroke, regardless of the gearing.

Myself, I find that I cannot effectively spin rapidly. I loose the upward motion. Slower RPMs are better for me and the longer cranks facilitate this. It also corrects a little for some of the low gearing I loose running a 29er using a "standard" crank set. But then again, I found that I was running gearing too low on the 26er anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.