Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently learned how to ride up a little hille jump turn and come back down...... but that is getting boring and i have been trying to learn how to 180 on flat then evenually learn to do it off of ledges and benches......any advice how to learn 180's on flat

my ride is a kona shred

·
Registered
355 Posts
Im assuming you can bunnyhop decently. biggest thing is twisting your torso around backwards(including your head, where your head is pointed, everything else will follow). when you do this, pull the bike around pretty fast and get ready for the landing. Before all this, have in mind that your going to be pedaling backwards as soon as you land(a higher gear helps with this). WEAR SHIN GUARDS WHEN LEARNING THIS!!!!!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Learn on a upward incline, it give more clearance for the front wheel to come around. You need to commit, carry some speed(not too much). Spinning your shoulders and head help great, else you'll end up tacoing rims by doing a 90. Watch out for your ride's rims, the Ditch Witches aren't exactly the strongest around except if you're a lightweight.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
go to a skatepark and try it on a waterfall or out of a bowl. depending on the size, a kona shred might be a hard bike to do it on. see if you can borrow someones BMX and learn it on there.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If learning a 180 on a Shred is difficult, it will be difficult on most any mountain bike out there. Learning on a BMX that you have no idea how it handles may not neccesarily make it easier. It may make it harder, or you could be learning it incorrectly.

Remember not to [email protected] it. You've got to fully commit. Give it some speed, and throw your entire body into the rotation, look over your shoulder in the direction which you want to rotate.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Try it on flat ground first. Bunnyhop, and just practice getting the motion down. Then get some speed going into it, etc.

If you've got a skatepark available, that's a good place to learn. Provides consistency.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theres a skatepark here but it is over the bridge in the ghetto and last time i went there people were following me nd watching me at the skatpark.......sooo ill probably find another place.....there are small grass hills here to do it on.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yea, the bike isn't the issue. I have a Kona Stuff 13" and 180's are butter on it. I feel that pulling up and twisting the torso needs to be one motion. I have to admit tho that tricks are easier on bmx bikes being that they're smaller. I landed my first 3 a couple days ago on the 20" but can't get close on my 26".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.