Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have a medium, or 18", Karate Monkey? I'm wondering if the seat tube is actually 18" c-t, or is it longer. I have an XL, or 22", and my seat tube is more like 23.4". I'm considering buying the 18" on ebay, but I really need a 19.5 for the wife. Any help appreciated today. Thanks,

David

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
It will indeed be 19.4" Does she need it to have the seatpost work out? Normally, a correctly fitting KM will have less than normal seatpost exposed. Because Surlly fitting is kinda retro, it's often smart to just get the size with the best toptube length, for I would suggest a 90-120mm stem. If you get to chose between 2 sizes, get the one that makes you end up with the preferred stem length. Short stem for the Genesis thing, long for the stability and slightly less responsiveness.
What's her present effective toptube and stem length? A lot of seatpost expost with that 19.5"?

703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
News to Me

Call it blissful ignorance, but I never stopped to wonder why I didn't really need the full 410mm post with my XL monkey. It didn't matter, I just liked to ride it.

She is currently on a 19.5" ST with a long effective TT (Haro Escape A4), but the long TT is getting to her back. It's a toss up between the 20 and 18, and the 20 is the more logical choice, but both would work because it's really just going to be a SS commuter with the kids and grocery-getter. Hmmm. Either way, thanks Jan for the info on the KM frame geometry - much appreciated.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts