Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering doing my first long solo at 18 Hours of Fruita (because my lame friends don't want to come :p )

What is the course like? What lights have people used? I'm a little hesitant about the midnight start and having enough light to make it until dawn. Training has been good. I just completed White Rim in one day and have a ton of base miles in. If you've done the race before what did you think and what info would you give to someone who's never done it?

Any info is good info! Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Chris,

I'm telling you, The Endurance 100 in Park City. Ride it and nothing else will compare.

Seriously, good for you. I'm thinking of 18 HoF also. Although I'll have to see how cash flow is. At that time of year all you need is about five hours of lighting. Try doing a HID light and after you're familiar with the course use a commuter for the remainder of the night. Or just ride next to someone with good lights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When is 24 hrs of Moab? What would be a good race to start with. I have done some multi day adventure stuff but never a pure mtb race.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pivvay,

Weren't you planning to do the 24HOP solo a few weeks ago? I thought we were talking about that on an Old Pueblo discussion. Perhaps you had a change of heart, or I misunderstood. As for lighting, I ran that setup I described with 2x Cygolite LED 10w equivalents at the 24HOP. One on the head, the other on the bar. It lasted the whole night with only one set of C batteries per system, and I still have about 8 hours left on each. I will tell you that it was not the brightest setup out there, just enough to get the job done. I do mean JUST enough. If it were a more technical course such as what I have heard of the E-100, it may not make the mark. Ideally, I would use the Cygo LED as a head mount, and pair it with a HID bar setup with a long burn Lithium Ion Battery. I believe there is a setup that will go 5-7 hours, though it will set you back a cool $500 or more. That kind of cash output was just not an option for me in the Old Pueblo. If I have a good year and get more serious, perhaps next season. I think the dual LED setup would be sufficient for Fruita, given the type of trails out there. As far as what to expect on your first, I would give this advise. Dial in your food. You should be feeling good after 4-6 hour rides in terms of intake, type of food, etc. Better if you can go 8-10 hours. You can fake it for up to about 4 hours, then things will unravel if not dialed in. Next, pace yourself. I swore up and down that I would, had a plan to use zones in the HRM, and still went waaaaaay too fast on my first two laps. Dial in your contact points. Butt, hands, feet, and not so much contact but neck. I managed well with the feet, having a shoe 1/2 size too big to account for swelling and additional layers to keep them warm in the evening. Hands were another matter, and I ended up wearing cutoff wool hiking gloves over full fingered cycling gloves as a stop gap fix. Now I am looking for appropriately padded gloves. One of my cohorts lost feeling in both hands for about a week after the event. The neck faired well as I have gone to a more upright position. I had some worrisome shooting pains, but they didn't start until my last two laps and only lasted for about 4 days after the event. Finally, the rear end. Chammie butter is not good enough for my needs, and I am trying another saddle setup. At one point, I was wearing two sets of padded shorts and it still felt like razor blades were sewn into the padding. Oh, and one final note...bring Immodium. Don't ask...

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
schwing_ding said:
Pivvay,
Weren't you planning to do the 24HOP solo a few weeks ago? I thought we were talking about that on an Old Pueblo discussion. Perhaps you had a change of heart, or I misunderstood. As for lighting, I ran that setup I described with 2x Cygolite LED 10w equivalents at the 24HOP. One on the head, the other on the bar. It lasted the whole night with only one set of C batteries per system, and I still have about 8 hours left on each. I will tell you that it was not the brightest setup out there, just enough to get the job done. I do mean JUST enough. If it were a more technical course such as what I have heard of the E-100, it may not make the mark. Ideally, I would use the Cygo LED as a head mount, and pair it with a HID bar setup with a long burn Lithium Ion Battery. I believe there is a setup that will go 5-7 hours, though it will set you back a cool $500 or more. That kind of cash output was just not an option for me in the Old Pueblo. If I have a good year and get more serious, perhaps next season. I think the dual LED setup would be sufficient for Fruita, given the type of trails out there. As far as what to expect on your first, I would give this advise. Dial in your food. You should be feeling good after 4-6 hour rides in terms of intake, type of food, etc. Better if you can go 8-10 hours. You can fake it for up to about 4 hours, then things will unravel if not dialed in. Next, pace yourself. I swore up and down that I would, had a plan to use zones in the HRM, and still went waaaaaay too fast on my first two laps. Dial in your contact points. Butt, hands, feet, and not so much contact but neck. I managed well with the feet, having a shoe 1/2 size too big to account for swelling and additional layers to keep them warm in the evening. Hands were another matter, and I ended up wearing cutoff wool hiking gloves over full fingered cycling gloves as a stop gap fix. Now I am looking for appropriately padded gloves. One of my cohorts lost feeling in both hands for about a week after the event. The neck faired well as I have gone to a more upright position. I had some worrisome shooting pains, but they didn't start until my last two laps and only lasted for about 4 days after the event. Finally, the rear end. Chammie butter is not good enough for my needs, and I am trying another saddle setup. At one point, I was wearing two sets of padded shorts and it still felt like razor blades were sewn into the padding. Oh, and one final note...bring Immodium. Don't ask...
Thanks for the tips! I'm trying to decide if I'm going to swing for getting 2 LED type lights or just getting one HID and rent/borrow a 2nd/backup light. Jet lights has a cool rental program that might work well for me. I wanted to do 24HOP but I couldn't make it work logistically so I drove to Moab and did the White Rim trail in one day instead. I'm feeling good for 6-10 hours of riding time right now and have a 5-6 hour ride planned for tomorrow to test and practice some more nutritional stuff. The biggest area I'm lacking in right now is night riding. My battery/old light is long dead and I'm trying to figure out what best to replace it with, especially since my goal is doing some 24hr events by the end of this year and Kokopelli trail race in 2007. I'm still on the fence about soloing 18hrs of Fruita but I think I'm ready if I can get the lights worked out. My wife has said she'll be happy to crew for me and I've definitely got enough riding/base miles in to do it. Can I find $225 entry fee and lights? Maybe there is a nice money tree hiding around here somewhere :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
If I remember right, you are in the Boulder/Longmont area. I am down in Westminster. I may have even seen you at one of the local night rides recently. There is one in Denver on Wednesdays, Ignaz Jr holds one up in your area on Tuesdays, and there is a third in the Boulder area on Thursdays. Plenty of time to dial, and test any system you wish to use. I don't have any evening events in May, and believe that is when the 18HOF is happening. You can borrow my setup to try out locally, and if you think it serves the purpose may use it for the race. Even if you totally destoyed them, they are quite cheap to replace in comparison to most systems. I think I picked each system up for around $70. Add in a $25 bar mount, $15 helmet mount kit, and that's about it. They run on C batteries, so no issues with charging, etc., etc. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the 18HOF. Just treat it as a learning experience. It sounds like you have a reasonable base, and support crew. Not to mention it is close. Best of luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
18 HoF

I did it last year as a duo. Its a fun, well run race, with a good camping set up. The course is about 2/3 winding singletrack with two very short climbs with 1 slightly technical, loose drop. Laps are really short at about 5 miles or so. Lots of big ring, especially the last half of the lap. The course last year was a little disappointing given the amount of good riding in the area but ti was still a fun, challenging race The flat, high speed nature would make me want a pretty bright light set up, if its an option, but you could get away with less as its not technical. I have a HID set up that worked well. The midnight start is kind of goofy and the first half lap is crowded but its nice to get the night riding out of the way early. I think the race really starts about noon after people start getting tired.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schwing_ding said:
If I remember right, you are in the Boulder/Longmont area. I am down in Westminster. I may have even seen you at one of the local night rides recently. There is one in Denver on Wednesdays, Ignaz Jr holds one up in your area on Tuesdays, and there is a third in the Boulder area on Thursdays. Plenty of time to dial, and test any system you wish to use. I don't have any evening events in May, and believe that is when the 18HOF is happening. You can borrow my setup to try out locally, and if you think it serves the purpose may use it for the race. Even if you totally destoyed them, they are quite cheap to replace in comparison to most systems. I think I picked each system up for around $70. Add in a $25 bar mount, $15 helmet mount kit, and that's about it. They run on C batteries, so no issues with charging, etc., etc. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the 18HOF. Just treat it as a learning experience. It sounds like you have a reasonable base, and support crew. Not to mention it is close. Best of luck whatever you decide.
I'm in Westminster now since we bought our first house in September. I haven't been to any of the night ride because I'm sans lights. I think what I need is a good LED light with long burn time or replaceable batteries like you have. Which model is that? Then I can work on getting my own HID eventually and borrow one for the race.

I think I'm ready to do Fruita riding wise. My nutrition plan worked awesome for 7+ hours in the saddle yesterday. I was still big ringing climbs on the way home and feeling awesome. I've got a free $20 to performance and $44 in my paypal (bike stuff) account too that I could use towards a light.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
LED lights have been heavily on my mind latley. There are tons of choices out there, depending on your needs and budget. One that looks very nice for the money is the Cygo Lite Hi Flux 100. It runs on C batteries and claims a 25 hour burn time. The Princeton Tec Eos is a nice inexpensive hemet light that while not the brightest out there, should make a nice filler/back up light.

I have an Eos on order, and will most likely grab the Hi Flux soon. The great thing about these low power LED lights is that once you do upgrade to an HID or high power LED they still make great long lasting back ups, so an upgrade does not make them obsolete.

Anyway if you are in the market this is a must read.

Oh and to stay somewhat on topic, the 18 hours of Fruita looks like a fun race. It is not going to be in the cards for me this year I don't think though. Which is to bad, I am looking for an April event and this one seems like a winner.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have 2x Cygo Lite Hi Flux 100s. I have no idea if they will make 25 hours as claimed, but they burned for 12+ at 24HOP with no loss in brightness. The fact that they take C cells is nice too. I think one would make a great head lamp when combined with a HID on the bar. As it was, they required a lot of attention as I could not relax where the head unit was pointing. They tend to be narrow, so if on track they are great but don't wonder. Nothing a little Starbucks Doubleshot couldn't help at 3am. I must say that I was definately outrunning them going down the *****es. I relied on having seen it multiple times during the day, and keeping a very consistant line. When they seemed to dim, I simply reached out and dusted them off. Back to full brightness. I am still coughing that **** up.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
schwing_ding said:
I have 2x Cygo Lite Hi Flux 100s. I have no idea if they will make 25 hours as claimed, but they burned for 12+ at 24HOP with no loss in brightness. The fact that they take C cells is nice too. I think one would make a great head lamp when combined with a HID on the bar. As it was, they required a lot of attention as I could not relax where the head unit was pointing. They tend to be narrow, so if on track they are great but don't wonder. Nothing a little Starbucks Doubleshot couldn't help at 3am. I must say that I was definately outrunning them going down the *****es. I relied on having seen it multiple times during the day, and keeping a very consistant line. When they seemed to dim, I simply reached out and dusted them off. Back to full brightness. I am still coughing that **** up.
Do you happen to have any beam shots? And is the Hi FLux 100 also a 3 watt light like the Hi Flux 200? The Cygo Lite website leads me to belive that, but I wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is the same thing with a different battery configuration. I also picked them up for $70 each from Blue Sky Cycles online. If you were to go through Battery Space and BYOB pack, the 100 would be ideal over the 200.

I don't have a beam shot, nor would I have anything to compare it to at the same camera settings for reference, etc. If you are in the Denver area, you could see it in person. One thing to note. The first time I went out I had sysem A mounted on the head, and B on the bars. Even though they are the exact same light, A was slightly wider than B. I switched them, so that the wider was on the bar, then added the fluted lense for further dispersion. This tells me that there is some variation between lights, and some variation in build consistancy. I think it is directly related to how close the reflector is to the emitter. As little as 1mm would make a difference. It wasn't a major difference, but enough to notice and work better in the latter configuration.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
schwing_ding said:
It is the same thing with a different battery configuration. I also picked them up for $70 each from Blue Sky Cycles online. If you were to go through Battery Space and BYOB pack, the 100 would be ideal over the 200.
I might pick up a 100 to try and do the BYOB pack thing if I like it. I nice Li-ION from them would work great and be pretty light I bet.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
schwing_ding said:
Blue sky has them for $55 right now. I am assuming though that I'd have to spend the extra $15 for the OS bar mount.

I will probably grab one of these if I don't bite the bullet and go with the DoubleShot.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What size Li-ion would one of these things take? I'm looking at Battery space now. I'm going to checkout Blue Sky too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
plesko you can borrow my lights if you want

I borrowed yours for 24hrs of moab a while ago mine are--cygo lite z-force helmet mount with one nimh bat. and one nicad bat. you charging up one while riding another aint no big thing -hell try 'em and buy'em if you like 'em
Tim

·
Registered
359 Posts
You will have to pick up the OS bar mount directly from Cygolite. Same thing with the helmet mount if you decide to go that route. I can't remember which of the two was $25 and $15. Bar mount or helmet kit. I would NOT run it bar only off road without something on your head too. It is just too narrow by itself. Again, a pair of them worked for OP, but it is a fairly non-technical course. That is if you don't count the Cholla cactus.

The Doubleshot is the better choice if the run time is long enough and your wallet allows., but you will need to pair it with a bar mount too. It is extremely narrow from all acounts I have read. That said, it is bright and focused enough to outshine HID when looking down trail within the scope of its limited width. The battery thing combined with cost was my major motivation in going with the Cygolite. I needed 12.5 hours, and could not spring for an HID with multiple batteries at the time. Since I didn't have a source to charge with, two batteries would not have done the trick. I looked at both Cateye systems, but again run time was not enough.

The Cygolite requires a 6v battery. Do some research to see if you can overvolt LEDs. I think you can, with some loss in bulb durability. Since the durability is in the 10s of thousands of hours, that is likely not an issue. Again, do some research. In terms of using a Li-Ion. Great idea in terms of weight. I would go with the absolute lightest setup, if going that route. A normal sized Li-Ion, that would be used for Halogen or HID, would likely last 48 hours on that thing. It is amazingly efficient.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
brucerobs said:
I did it last year as a duo. Its a fun, well run race, with a good camping set up. The course is about 2/3 winding singletrack with two very short climbs with 1 slightly technical, loose drop
This year the somewhat technical section of loose switchback drops at Mack Mesa Lake has been replaced. The Colorado State Parks with help from the Western Colorado Conservation Corps remodeled this section and it will be a welcome surprise to those who have run this course in the past. It is now a fast drop with seven high bermed switchbacks. Also new is a section of trail at the foot of Mack Mesa.

See ya there!

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
How was it?

Alright people, lets hear how it went...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts