Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I ordered a 175mm crank but I am wondering if I should try to get them to change it to the 170mm size before they ship it out? I'm about 5'11" and my old bike had 170mm arms.
I'll be primarily riding freeride/urban/downhill.

Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
if it is a full susp. frame then dont go over 170mm arms or the pedals will most likely touch the ground at times. with an HT i use 175mm arms and it is fine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Depends on whether you wanna deal with banging the pedals every once in a while. I wish my Holzfellers were 165's instead of 175's. I feel stupid too because I could have gotten them in that size. Me-stupid.
 

·
rollin
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
you guys really think 5mm makes a difference in clearance?

the biggest reason to go 170mm vs 175 is that the 170mm is easier to spin, where as the 175 gives you more torque. that's why roadies use 170mm, and that's why most dh racers use 170mm. you can spin easier, therefore increasing your horsepower.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
sriracha said:
you guys really think 5mm makes a difference in clearance?

the biggest reason to go 170mm vs 175 is that the 170mm is easier to spin, where as the 175 gives you more torque. that's why roadies use 170mm, and that's why most dh racers use 170mm. you can spin easier, therefore increasing your horsepower.
175 is easier to spin becuase you have more leverage, 170 will spin the wheel faster...

Think of using a wrench, the longer the wrench, the easier it is to tourque, the shorter the wrench, the faster the bolt spins.. (holding the ends)
 

·
rollin
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
175 is easier to spin becuase you have more leverage, 170 will spin the wheel faster...

Think of using a wrench, the longer the wrench, the easier it is to tourque, the shorter the wrench, the faster the bolt spins.. (holding the ends)
pretty sure you and i are saying the same thing:

175 = more torque, better for slow speed steep climbs.

170 = more horsepower, better for high speed, spinning the pedals.

where i ride, the 5mm difference in clearance is negligable when you have hub deep rocks.
 

·
I like air!
Joined
·
915 Posts
gold3nrul3 said:
Hey, I ordered a 175mm crank but I am wondering if I should try to get them to change it to the 170mm size before they ship it out? I'm about 5'11" and my old bike had 170mm arms.
I'll be primarily riding freeride/urban/downhill.

Thanks guys.
I have 175 for DH. I wish they were shorter but not sure 5mm is that big of a difference.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
sriracha said:
pretty sure you and i are saying the same thing:

175 = more torque, better for slow speed steep climbs.

170 = more horsepower, better for high speed, spinning the pedals.

where i ride, the 5mm difference in clearance is negligable when you have hub deep rocks.
Yeah you understand it, just the first time you said 170 is easier to spin than 175... backwards...

But yes if you pedal longer and faster get 170, if you just sprint/ jump/ ride street 175 is for you.....
165 is for racing for optimal clearance
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
milhouse said:
I have 175 for DH. I wish they were shorter but not sure 5mm is that big of a difference.
Its not a big difference, but it is noticable....
Not really worth dropping the extra cash for the new cranks of only 5mm difference ....
 

·
Loves His Sunday
Joined
·
670 Posts
Try riding an IH Sunday. Even with 165's I smash my peds in every rock garden. Still trying to get used to when not to pedal. Super low bb is driving me crazy, yet I love it so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
I just switched from 175mm to 170mm - the feel is not all that different, but I actually do find the clearance to be noticeable. I'm happy withte 170's, but it would not be worth buying a new crank set over.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top