No Titus anymore...
334 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
letter to the editor

Who is policing Boulder police?

On July 8 in North Boulder Park, the following scenario occurred: A group of people in the shelter were having some beers; a family on the south side of the park was having a picnic and drinking wine; and a group of cruiser bike riders were near the baseball fields, some drinking beers. A handful of police on bikes and an officer in a police car were near and amid the bicyclists giving tickets and warnings for open containers.

In response to a question, one officer said that they were not targeting the other groups because Police Chief Mark Beckner had sent e-mails asking the officers to "focus" on the cruiser bike riders.

Hmm. Sounds exactly like selective law enforcement to me. It's clear that the time is now to revise how much power we allow our police chief. Currently, there aren't enough non-police entities in place to oversee Beckner.

Did you know that the city of San Francisco has a citizen panel that oversees the police? Due to the above scenario ? and many other instances in which Boulder's police force has acted inappropriately or ineffectively (who did kill JonBenet?) ? it's time to make some changes in our city structure in terms of how the police are run. Currently, Chief Beckner sits in an office and seems to put very little value on the feedback he gets from the community. Who polices the police? The citizens of this community need to have a say in that.

If you agree, write or call your City Council to express this opinion. The number is (303) 441-3090.

CHRISSY SMILEY
Boulder

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm only half surprised.

I used to do the cruiser ride in the summers (they stop it when daylight savings time hits) a couple of years ago. I haven't done it in a while due to joining a pool league on Thursdays.

That ride, while fun and harmless, has (just by its nature) been asking for police intervention for a while now - meaning, it was just a matter of time before the cops decided they had to "do something".

216 riders? Holy CRAP that's a lot. Most I ever saw was maybe sixty or seventy. It's no wonder folks are calling the cops. Even when there was only around sixty, I'd see plenty of annoyed drivers as we went by (or went round and round a traffic circle, or whatever). With that many people, the chances of cop-involvement just went up exponentially IMHO.

I do recall sitting at Rhumba when the crowd went by, a few months ago, and a cute gal with an open vest and nothing on underneath riding by... nice jumblies. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.