Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sounds like the Cruzers are bringing this on themselves. The trouble here is that the cops havent cracked down enough. It might be peaceful put the majority of the public really doesnt like to see people walking/biking/driving around drinking beer in public. Maybe throw a couple of Cruzers in jail for drinking in public would be a start. This sounds like one of those college activities thats gotten out of hand.

·
Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
Riding two abreast is illegal?

Thank you for sharing that hard-hitting journalistic expose with us. It's amazing Boulder can afford to put that size of force on the streets for something so... petty.

I went down to San Luis Obispo in June to ride in the monthly "Bike Happening" that parades around the downtown streets beginning at 9:30 PM. I'd estimate there were 6 to 8 officers riding with us. Before hand, they made it quite clear they would be writing citations for failing to stop at stopsigns and lights, riding without headlight and taillight, and riding the wrong way on one way streets. Easily 500 riders were present, and most followed the rules. Again I was surprised they'd dedicate this number of officers for a fun-spirited, silly event such as this, but I suppose it's all in a day's work for city administration.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,033 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kitchenware said:
Yes, I've been on several over the last couple years. *edit* my first one was back in 2000.
I've never participated because I've always thought that it must leave a bad taste in non-cyclists mouths who see a bunch of cyclists clogging up the roads, etc, whether the cyclists were in the right or the wrong about what they are doing. It always sounded like fun.

I just thought that the amount of police attention was a bit over the top.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,033 Posts
Debaser said:
I've never participated because I've always thought that it must leave a bad taste in non-cyclists mouths who see a bunch of cyclists clogging up the roads, etc, whether the cyclists were in the right or the wrong about what they are doing.
That's the vibe I started to get on them and that's why I no longer go. One time when I went, they led the group around a traffic circle for oh, 6-8 laps or so while ppl in cars sat pissed and honking. Then they ran about every sign/light on the rest of the ride and intentionally blocked traffic a couple of times.

It was better when ppl hid their beers until we got to the top of parking garages or in their hydration pack and sorta rode by the rules.

Like the article said, they've gotten to where they think they're above the law.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i used to live next door to a die hard cruzer and the ride is really more of a drinking binge than a cycling event. most participants only buy cruisers to ride the cruze and most have no clue about laws concerning bikes and booze. boulder has a problem with the concept of entitlement. the students here feel they spend big bucks in town so they should be allowed to run around like freaks to ruin other peoples lives. that attitude spreads to a lot of the under 35 crowd at some point too. imo the cruzer ride is a joke and should be put to rest.

·
contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kitchenware said:
That's the vibe I started to get on them and that's why I no longer go. One time when I went, they led the group around a traffic circle for oh, 6-8 laps or so while ppl in cars sat pissed and honking. Then they ran about every sign/light on the rest of the ride and intentionally blocked traffic a couple of times.

It was better when ppl hid their beers until we got to the top of parking garages or in their hydration pack and sorta rode by the rules.

Like the article said, they've gotten to where they think they're above the law.
Those are some telling examples.

Pete said:
Basrd upon the article, it sounds as if they are doing the right thing, for a number of reasons.
I've heard a little here and there about the cruiser ride, and I don't know what sparked this editorial. I get the impression (quite possibly wrong) that BPD went from no contact to 17 officers all at once. Some enforcement sounds needed. Seventeen officers sounds like a lot to start their enforcement.

Just my opinion though.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
Debaser said:
I get the impression (quite possibly wrong) that BPD went from no contact to 17 officers all at once.
I'm having trouble understanding how you could get that impression after reading the article.

"Because of historical complaints about the ride, two Boulder Police officers on bikes have accompanied recent rides."

"writing 12 tickets - three times more than during all the other rides this year, but still not a lot"

·
contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pete said:
I'm having trouble understanding how you could get that impression after reading the article.

"Because of historical complaints about the ride, two Boulder Police officers on bikes have accompanied recent rides."

"writing 12 tickets ? three times more than during all the other rides this year, but still not a lot"
Okay, change my comment from 2 to 17, in 2 or 3 weeks.

·
contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Letter to the Editor

Letter to the editor last week:

Who is policing Boulder police?

On July 8 in North Boulder Park, the following scenario occurred: A group of people in the shelter were having some beers; a family on the south side of the park was having a picnic and drinking wine; and a group of cruiser bike riders were near the baseball fields, some drinking beers. A handful of police on bikes and an officer in a police car were near and amid the bicyclists giving tickets and warnings for open containers.

In response to a question, one officer said that they were not targeting the other groups because Police Chief Mark Beckner had sent e-mails asking the officers to "focus" on the cruiser bike riders.

Hmm. Sounds exactly like selective law enforcement to me. It's clear that the time is now to revise how much power we allow our police chief. Currently, there aren't enough non-police entities in place to oversee Beckner.

Did you know that the city of San Francisco has a citizen panel that oversees the police? Due to the above scenario ? and many other instances in which Boulder's police force has acted inappropriately or ineffectively (who did kill JonBenet?) ? it's time to make some changes in our city structure in terms of how the police are run. Currently, Chief Beckner sits in an office and seems to put very little value on the feedback he gets from the community. Who polices the police? The citizens of this community need to have a say in that.

If you agree, write or call your City Council to express this opinion. The number is (303) 441-3090.

CHRISSY SMILEY
Boulder

·
Registered
519 Posts
clarkgriswald

F*&K PIGS. The MAN is trying to keep you down. Revolt is the only option! Next one, bring weapons. :rolleyes:

So several idiots ruin the event for several hundred and it's the police/city government's fault? How about policing yourselves?

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
clarkgriswald said:
F*&K PIGS. The MAN is trying to keep you down. Revolt is the only option! Next one, bring weapons. :rolleyes:

So several idiots ruin the event for several hundred and it's the police/city government's fault? How about policing yourselves?
Word!

It's so human to defend one's actions even when one is obviously in the 'wrong'. It's called denial. Well, I guess it could be delusion as well. Sorry, as much as I hate the police, the bikers get no love from me here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
kitchenware said:
There was a time when the bikers were discrete about their brew and only slightly rude to drivers. hehe.
Its always the way though, someone starts something fun and good, then slowly but surely one idiot follows another and they have the tendency to turn the good thing bad by the simple fact that in this world complete idiots outnumber the sensible about 50:1 and so take over. Drink/drugged riding is as bad as drink/drugged driving - the same penalties should be pressed, and when the participants have some childish need to drink whilst riding despite it being a stupid thing to to, they should see the consequences.

J

·
Dain Bramaged
300 Posts
I agree

Pete said:
Basrd upon the article, it sounds as if they are doing the right thing, for a number of reasons.
I assume by "they" you mean the police? Whining about being "persecuted" by the authorities after blatantly breaking the law despite being forewarned by said authority falls on my deaf ears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.