Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having much luck finding any for my off-road fixie project. Lucky that Surly has given me some options for chainrings. Now, I've only been able to find the Sugino crank, a low end Shimano and a super high end campy on aebike. FSA also looks to make a super heavy duty crankarms, but that is overkill. Anyone have any ideas or sources?

Thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
chuckc1971 said:
I'm not having much luck finding any for my off-road fixie project. Lucky that Surly has given me some options for chainrings. Now, I've only been able to find the Sugino crank, a low end Shimano and a super high end campy on aebike. FSA also looks to make a super heavy duty crankarms, but that is overkill. Anyone have any ideas or sources?
The Sugino XD is the ticket unless you are a Baby Huey that pedals squares...it's all I've ridden for years and what I recommend without fail. A good no-BS cold forged square taper 110/74 5 bolt Japanese crank designed before everyone and their know-it-all brother came into the market during the MTB boom with CNCed stuff. It does feature the fifth bolt mounting point under the crank arm (like you see on old Ritchey cranks...which of course were made by Sugino)...kind of a PITA when you first bolt up a ring, but it is a smart design when it comes to stress at the A-point of the crank.

Get the Sugino XD300, which comes with cheapo steel rings which you can donate to the local bike co-op or make a neato mobile with. The XD600 is the same thing but comes with nicer rings, which you won't use either....so save some $$$ with the 300. Buy them from your local bike shop, they would love the support and it keeps your money in the local economy where it'll do the most good. The QBP part # is: CR1034. Wholesale is $33.00 - so you shouldn't have to pay more than $66 retail. There are plenty in stock.

Run the ring on the outside of the spider and use a 113mm spindle with most SS-specific 135mm hubs. A 110mm will work too, especially when the cranks are new or if you're using a hub with a narrower chainline. As long as you're using a good quality 3/32" chain...either spindle will be OK.

My setup is XD300s with a Surly stainless ring, a SRAM PC-48 chain, steel EAI track cog, Phil Wood hub, and a 113mm Shimano UN73 BB. Cheap (save the hub). Problem free. Done.

A BB tip for everyone:

The square taper Shimano BBs come with this damned ring/collar/whatever on the driveside of the spindle now...which is billed as a "chainline preservation" device or something like that. Before you install the BB...get that thing off. I cut mine off using a carbide cutter on a Dremel (*carefully* cutting notches in opposite sides of the ring) and then pried it off with a bomber flat blade screwdriver. Otherwise, if you're like me and want to ride stuff into the ground, you'll end up bottoming out the crank on this ring prematurely (meaning: long down the road if you ain't fiddling with stuff too much)...and that sucks. Ghetto? You betcha. I installed my cranks a couple of years ago and it was damned close to that collar right off the bat. I cut mine off when I regreased my BB earlier this year and had to reinstall my cranks. I am (now - not "back in the day") a member of the "grease the spindle" crowd:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html

I take no resposibility if things go horribly wrong for you due to any of this advice though. :)

mc

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Chaz

I've got some classy old polished 165's hangin' on the wall. Forget the brand right now but they're really nice and have had very little use.

I'm headin' out of town for a week, but shoot me an email and let's work something out when I get back.

[email protected] dot net.

MC

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
I saw some either new or maybe slightly used shimano 165mm XTR 95x(not sure which exact version) at a bike shop I was in this past weekend. I could get the contact info if interested. the right arm had a big XTR downhill chainring bolted to it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies

I think I am going to take flexiflyer's advice and get the Sugino cranks. Grant Peterson of Rivendell thinks a lot of them as well.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,613 Posts
Not that I'm in the same caliber as those two, but...

chuckc1971 said:
I think I am going to take flexiflyer's advice and get the Sugino cranks. Grant Peterson of Rivendell thinks a lot of them as well.
I third the recommendation on the Suginos. I currently use some SunTour XC pros, which I love, but they're 175mm. They certainly feel better than the 180mm Truvatives I started with, but I'd much rather have some 170mm. I'll be getting some XD300s here real soon- you won't believe how nice a crank in this price range can be!
FWIW, Sugino has made cold forged cranks for companies like Ritchey for many years, and they make a nice one.

the los

1 - 7 of 7 Posts