Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been thinking of getting some 165 cranks..... I have a 29 inch or so inseam and the 175's on my FS ride feel too long... On my DJ and rigid 170's. They feel OK...

My 175 cranks are RF Evolve XC. I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can just get cranks that will fit using the present BB?

Or maybe it's just easier to get some XT 's in 165?

The goal is to get 165 cranks on with the least $pent.

Thanks!

·
ups and downs
15,596 Posts
Race Face doesn't go as short as 165's except in the $248 Diabolous DH/FR crank arms so you're likely better off just going with the 165mm XT cranks. X type bearings are cheap and disposable anyway so you wouldn't be saving much even if you could get RF Evolve or Deus crank arms in 165mm.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the xt's are about 235-250, and the RF's are about 240(speedgoat)-270. the xts are going to be much lighter, the diabolous are going to be heavy, but much tougher than the xt's. both use ext. BB's. i also say youd be better off getting the xt's, but you arent saving much, and if your looking to do some FR the diabolus might be better for you, but for xc/am, go w/ the xt's. i also have about a 29" inseam and have 175's on my HT, but i also have 165's and with them on my ht, the seat position is much better, and the ground clearance is less of a worry.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i havent had any dealings with CRC, due to them being on the other side of the pond. but 100gbp=about 200cad/usd + shipping. and then up here you still have to add gst/pst on top of that. 235 is a better deal.

edit, that's messed up, now that i chose ship to canada, the cost is now 85gbp. so i suppose it might be a better deal.

·
ups and downs
15,596 Posts
They appear to be the best prices on the planet for Shimano, I've bought two sets of XTR drivetrains from them in the past year, and shipped to Canada they're still cheap and easy. (no PST on bike parts in BC :D )

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like the XT's are the way to go.....

But if anyone knows another brand please let me know. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts