Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's just assume I am made of money (I am not)

My 2009 lyrik has been used and abused. It is on way out and I am looking to drop some weight (mine is coil u-turn).

I am currently rocking a 26 in Titus el guapo, but in a year or two I will inevitably get the urge to upgrade and will be at the whim of the wheel size gods.

So... I want the bees knees of a 160mm fork that well allow me to properly run 26 and 27.5 wheels.

Suggestions? Note: I have some aversion to fox forks but if everyone says they win I will go that route

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think if you hold on a bit, I think the Manitou Mattoc can be had as a 27.5 or 26" fork.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Xfusion slant or vengeance. You won't save any weight going to the vengeance air though. It weighs the same as my Lyrik coil.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think if you hold on a bit, I think the Manitou Mattoc can be had as a 27.5 or 26" fork.
Do we know if this is the "same" fork, meaning there isn't a 27.5 specific and a 26 in lowers?

I know I could get a 27.5 in fork in that case, and spacer down to keep my geometry the same, but seeing as I hope this frame last a few years I don't want to sacrifice some travel to keep the some geometry.

This fork dose look appealing from a weight standpoint.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Do we know if this is the "same" fork, meaning there isn't a 27.5 specific and a 26 in lowers?

I know I could get a 27.5 in fork in that case, and spacer down to keep my geometry the same, but seeing as I hope this frame last a few years I don't want to sacrifice some travel to keep the some geometry.

This fork dose look appealing from a weight standpoint.
I thought it was just an internal spacer change.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There are few choices for 26/275 forks that are DESIGNED to be ridden that way. I've ridden a Lyrik 26/275 with no issues, as well as a Fox32, Revelation and Slant. No Fox or RockShox forks are made to do both, I believe.

I highly recommend RockShox stuff, personally. Less down time, better support, myriad damper options, simpler design. For the superstar fork, go Pike. I've been very happy with my Lyirk and Revelation though. I've relegated my Fox fork to the wall...

All of the current product is really good though. Your personal riding style, local bike shop support (stocking parts) and maintenance schedule will determine what is best for you. Hard to go wrong these days.

mk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are few choices for 26/275 forks that are DESIGNED to be ridden that way. I've ridden a Lyrik 26/275 with no issues, as well as a Fox32, Revelation and Slant. No Fox or RockShox forks are made to do both, I believe.

I highly recommend RockShox stuff, personally. Less down time, better support, myriad damper options, simpler design. For the superstar fork, go Pike. I've been very happy with my Lyirk and Revelation though. I've relegated my Fox fork to the wall...

All of the current product is really good though. Your personal riding style, local bike shop support (stocking parts) and maintenance schedule will determine what is best for you. Hard to go wrong these days.

mk
So doing a bit more research on the mattoc....I didn't realize how thorough their user guide was:

http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mattoc-Travel-Adjust-Guide.pdf

If you look down at the spacer section, it looks like the "difference" between their 27.5in and 26in is that bottom spacer on the compression rod. It looks like to me if you remove that bottom spacer, then you are rocking the 26in mode.

Does that look right to you guys?

I have also sent an email out to the manitou folks to see if I can get an official answer.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Pre 2013 F36 for good 650B tire clearance modded with the linear 2013 + air catridge.
I have no allegiance to any Brand and haven't been a fan of fox forks since 2011 but this is a very good fork. As it's not a bro-fashion Pike and 26" you should be able to get one for a good price.
Has a short offset so does slow down steering on 650b but perfect for old school short wheelbase geometry like el guapo.

Vengeance would be the other obvious choice.

I've got over a dozen forks lying around the place and have been burned before with the big hit performance of mantou [ minute ane tower pro] and Rockshox[ Rev RCT3] before so am hessitant to recommend their successors without having ridden them.

The 55CR at 170 is spot on for your bike in 26" but can only take the smaller 650B tires[ neo 2.3]. Very good fork for the price though.Only set at 150mm my 55Cr has much better ride quality than any Manitou or Rockshox fork I've ridden to date.

Marzocchi 55 CR suspension fork review - BikeRadar

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
So doing a bit more research on the mattoc....I didn't realize how thorough their user guide was:

http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mattoc-Travel-Adjust-Guide.pdf

If you look down at the spacer section, it looks like the "difference" between their 27.5in and 26in is that bottom spacer on the compression rod. It looks like to me if you remove that bottom spacer, then you are rocking the 26in mode.

Does that look right to you guys?

I have also sent an email out to the manitou folks to see if I can get an official answer.
That is what I saw as well. Also, I noticed that they have a nice set-up guide for the mattoc on their site now.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That's for converting the 26".I think there is a different crown steerer assy with specific 650b offset for those sold as 650b forks? Mnitou parts are usually pretty reasonable in price so buying a new crown steerer assy later if it steers to slow shouldn't break the bank.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's for converting the 26".I think there is a different crown steerer assy with specific 650b offset for those sold as 650b forks? Mnitou parts are usually pretty reasonable in price so buying a new crown steerer assy later if it steers to slow shouldn't break the bank.

And the plot thickens. Good thing my lyrik has some life left in er.

If it get any updated info from manitou I will pass it on.

For now I will hold onto my money and try not to blow it on other parts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts