Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for a 2nd bike with 160mm travel.
I already have a 140mm prophet...so I want something with a little more travel.

Note: I don't want anything higher than say 6.5" because I have a freeride bike with 8+" of travel sitting in the basement (likely being sold soon).

It needs a headtube angle no steeper than 67*, and I want to build it up to +/-30lbs.

thinking about...
Santa Cruz Nomad
Giant Reign
Banshee Rune

I know there are more out there....maybe Transition Covert?
Anything else that I could add to my list?

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
200x57mm shock on a Prophet produces 160mm of travel give or take, but only works in the tall setting, tyre hits the seat tube in slack.

Otherwise, Orange Alpine 160 if you can track one down.

Cove G-Spot (like a Rune but with bearings)

Never met a Mojo owner who had anything bad to say about it, so stick that on the list as well.

To be honest they're all great frames, availability of spares and nearest dealer's probably a good way to pick.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
They changed it in 2010. It's lighter, less FR, more AM, with a 142mm axle, tapered HT and ISCG tabs. Still has 6"+ travel and has been getting positive reviews.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

Note: I don't want anything higher than say 6.5" because I have a freeride bike with 8+" of travel sitting in the basement (likely being sold soon).

It needs a headtube angle no steeper than 67*, and I want to build it up to +/-30lbs.

thinking about...
Santa Cruz Nomad
Giant Reign
Banshee Rune

thanks in advance...
Titus El Guapo hits most of your wants.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
do u ride a medium? I have a banshee rune frame for sale, see my sig

thinking about...
Santa Cruz Nomad
Giant Reign
Banshee Rune

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
33 Posts
very nice...i was actually looking t that frame earlier this evening.
Any experience with an Enduro?...just wondering given your mtbr name.
I had a 2000 model Enduro back when it was just a Stumpjumper with a modified link.
It was a great bike with the exception of the bb clearance, I really had to be careful about my pedal position.

I've been riding Intense since then and never gone back.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think you will struggle to hit 30lb with most of those bikes. if that is important look at carbon models such as Spec Enduro, Santa Cruz Nomad c or Ibis Mojo HD. Or if Carbon is not your thing an Ellsworth Moment.

You also need to think what you want from this bike, Do you want it to climb well, descend well or a compromise.

Orange 160 is a great descender (I hired one in the Alps earleir this year) but it is not a plush ride and is very compromised on the climbs. A similar thing has been said of the Moment ( i have owned a Moment in the past and it was excellent for the big mountains but overkill for most AM).

Lappierre Spicy's get good reviews too.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
carbon

I think you will struggle to hit 30lb with most of those bikes. if that is important look at carbon models such as Spec Enduro, Santa Cruz Nomad c or Ibis Mojo HD. Or if Carbon is not your thing an Ellsworth Moment.

You also need to think what you want from this bike, Do you want it to climb well, descend well or a compromise.

Orange 160 is a great descender (I hired one in the Alps earleir this year) but it is not a plush ride and is very compromised on the climbs. A similar thing has been said of the Moment ( i have owned a Moment in the past and it was excellent for the big mountains but overkill for most AM).

Lappierre Spicy's get good reviews too.
love the idea of carbon...and the ride is mostly east coast technical...lots of rocks, roots, climbs..etc...
I like 30lbs as the goal, but realize that 31 or 32 is very likely.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.