Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Redline Monocog Flight 29. I wasn't happy with the BB5's on the bike I rode at the shop. They required too much lever force to lock them up. I want to replace them with the BB7's and am wondering if I should go to 185 or 203 mm from the 160's.

Also, is anyone aware of a different set of cables that would help with brake performance?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
You could run a 185 in front and leave the rear at 160. Most of the braking power comes from the front wheel. Any die-drawn stainless cable and a decent quality, lined, generic housing (like QBP's house brand) that has been cut correctly (with a dremel- not with the ends crushed) should give you very smooth, compression free action.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
It's not usual for a brake on a shop bike to be bedded in fully. The BB7 and BB5 work the same way, although the BB7 has a slightly different level of adjustment.
Don't write off any system until you've tried a version which is fully set up and the pads/rotors have bedded in.
Peace,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Steve makes a good point... it is very likely the brakes at the shop were not bedded in.... the only thing I would see as disadvantage of also running a 180/185 rotor in the rear is that if you are a lightweight, the brake could lock up very easily as your weight shifts forward.

As Tscheezy stated, you can get a bigger front rotor and stay with 160 in the rear... I personally run 203/180 in my FS and 185/160 on my ss and feel good with both setups, but I weight about 210 lbs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SteveUK said:
It's not usual for a brake on a shop bike to be bedded in fully. The BB7 and BB5 work the same way, although the BB7 has a slightly different level of adjustment.
Don't write off any system until you've tried a version which is fully set up and the pads/rotors have bedded in.
Peace,
Steve
Agreed! Until they have bedded in a disc brake can fell and work poorly.

With the last bike I put new BB7s on I could not stop the bike while pedaling on the flat at first. By the end of the first 12 mile ride they were up to the one-finger performance I love.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the brakes not being bedded in. I'll give the stock ones a shot for a month or so and see how they work. If I'm not satisfied, I'll go to the 185's. BTW: I'm not a "light weight" 200 lbs.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good question

euroford said:
if your going to upgrade brakes why would you not go hydro?
Potentially several reasons to include cost and the fact that a well set up Avid mechanical disc brake configuration performs as well or better than some hydros. Preferences play a part also.

Bob

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually I was in the same boat of having OEM discs, but couldn't find replacement pads and would have to buy a complete new set of brakes - calipers, lines levers - and was going to go BB7's, but when I added up the cost of getting them all it was so close to a set of HOPE Mono Mini's that I went with them instead. The good thing about going mech disc is that if you already have levers for V-Brakes you just need to buy the calipers.

Call_me_Clyde said:
Potentially several reasons to include cost and the fact that a well set up Avid mechanical disc brake configuration performs as well or better than some hydros. Preferences play a part also.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.