Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience they'd like to share with this type of cycle?

My background:
* 5th year racing, 3rd Cat 1
* 2nd year using a macro-peroidized routine, ie base, build, peak
* 4th year of micro-periodized routine, 3 increasingly hard wks, followed by easy wk
* Turn 50 in a few months
* Hoping more fequent, but shorter breaks will allow good recovery from hard blocks without losing gains.

·
Registered
162 Posts
stillhardtailing said:
My training cycles usually end up being pretty similar 1 to 3 hard weeks with a few days off. I say "end up" because, for me at least, there is no way to plan work, travel, family commitments into a cyclical schedule. What I've found best is to always train hard when you have the opportunity because there will always be big chunks of time when you don't. So basically life will take care of the rest portion for you, just train hard when you can. My $0.02.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Stillhardtailing,

I pretty much stick to a periodized program with 2-3week build cycles, followed by a lighter week for recovery/rest.

When I am doing Tempo, and endurance rides in the early phase of base, I'll stick to a 3-week cycle with a recovery week that may not be so light.. just because the base phase is generally less fatigueing.

But when I start adding in a lot of thrsehlod work or VO2Max work, I'll shorten the cycles to 2-weeks. I typically go pretty hard on week 1 of any cycle, but when things get more intensive, a strong start on week 1 will leave me smoked and a bit too much fatigue during week 3.. so I adjust by doing a 2 week cycle thats really hard, followed by a week to freshen up. The recovery week is tricky, I don't want to get too rested, so I keep up the training, just back off the load enough to recover well enough for the next 2-week cycle.

I like the 2 week cycle, I can train real hard and by the end of 2 weeks I am ready to turn the heat down for a bit. But its important to me to hit overload by the end of the 2 weeks and get enough work in to drive fitness improvements. I will typically do 2-day blocks focusing on threshold, VO2Max, anaerobic, etc..., followed by a day of rest and then another 2-day block of lesser intensity, longer duration stuff. Whatever it takes to push the limits over 2-weeks, and reach that point where I need a break.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Perry's!

Perrygeo,
I agree that any true amature has "life stuff" that interupts the program, but I need to have a plan to help prevent that stuff from totaly taking over.

Perryr,
I just finished Base 3 today with a 3 hr road ride with an 1 of sweet spot thrown in. Base was a 3wk on, 1 wk off cycle, much like yours.

As I move into higher intensity work in build I'm hoping the shorter "on" cycles will allow me to hit it hard at least every third day with out slowly accumulating fatigue through the season. Also hoping the shorter more frequent recovery block will allow full recovery without too much detraining.

Thanks for the input.

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
stillhardtailing said:

My background:
* 5th year racing, 3rd Cat 1
* 2nd year using a macro-peroidized routine, ie base, build, peak
* 4th year of micro-periodized routine, 3 increasingly hard wks, followed by easy wk
* Turn 50 in a few months
* Hoping more fequent, but shorter breaks will allow good recovery from hard blocks without losing gains.

I really like the 16 day on/5 day off cycle for all the reasons you listed (esp your age). It works really well for folks with a Mon - Fri job too.

I often will schedule a 3 week on 1 week off for Base training then when the intensity goes up move to the 16/5 cycle.

Near the end of the season when athletes often have slower recovery times than in the spring/early summer the 5 days off might not be enough and I will move onto a 14 on/7 off cycle with masters racers.

LW

·
Registered
845 Posts
perrygeo said:
My training cycles usually end up being pretty similar 1 to 3 hard weeks with a few days off. I say "end up" because, for me at least, there is no way to plan work, travel, family commitments into a cyclical schedule. What I've found best is to always train hard when you have the opportunity because there will always be big chunks of time when you don't. So basically life will take care of the rest portion for you, just train hard when you can. My $0.02.
I tried setting and following plans, but this is how I do it now. It's pretty rare that the rest doesn't take care of itself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LyndaW said:
I really like the 16 day on/5 day off cycle for all the reasons you listed (esp your age). It works really well for folks with a Mon - Fri job too.

I often will schedule a 3 week on 1 week off for Base training then when the intensity goes up move to the 16/5 cycle.

Near the end of the season when athletes often have slower recovery times than in the spring/early summer the 5 days off might not be enough and I will move onto a 14 on/7 off cycle with masters racers.

LW
Thanks Lynda,

Here in So Cal the season is starting finishing early this year. I have a tune-up race on 2/6, then the So Cal State Series starts 2/28. The 8 race series finishes on 6/20. I'll also do Sea Otter, my priority race for the year, so I'll have done 10 races by early summer. I typically do that many races through September. I'm actually looking forward to it because I won't have to hold a high level of fitness for as long and summer, with my kids out of school, is a tough time for training anyway. If things go as well as I'm hoping I might extend the Season and shoot for another peak for the Nationals in mid-July.

I'm really hoping the 16/5 will help me stay both sharp and fresh throughout this short, but intense season.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've only ever used a 16/5. It's great cause I can utilize all of my weekends fully instead of spending 2 days a month (or so) recovering. I like to ride my bike, so it kind of maximizes what free time I have :) (M-F job here!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts