Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to buy the 2011 fox f29 fit rlc fork but dont know if I should take the 15mm or the 9mm.

I can see that the 15mm is 100g more in weight.

I do only ride XC so any reason to take the 15mm. ?! its going on a superfly 100 and yes I can get the tapered on both forks ;).

Im also going to get a new wheelset with chris king front hub so no problem here.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
You can't compare the fork alone, you have to compare the weight of the fork and the hub you plan to use. The fork weight includes the 15mm axle, where the 9mm fork does not include the skewer. So this is what you want to number crunch.

15mm fork + 15mm hub =

9mm fork + 9mm hub + skewer =

The 15mm is stiffer by far and no slower than lawyer tabs

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Depending on the fork and particular 9mm QR being compared to, the thru-shaft axles are often FASTER in fact to get the wheel out. On late model Marzocchi forks (about 05 forwards), the 9mm dropout and lower leg area is so bulky that many of the good QRs for tightening force (like old style shimano steel lever skewers) won't spin more than half a turn. So you end up flipping the lever open and then using your thumb/index finger to spin the locknut on the other side enough to get the wheel out. Not always an easy task with gloves on, or in the dark.

·
10,938 Posts
The stiffer depends on the forks being compared. Magura's double-braced forks are as stiff in 9mm open dropouts as many competitors 15QR forks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you convert regular front hubs into QR15? For instance my Tune hub. Planning on buying a new fork for a ordered Scott Scale with a tapered steerer. It seems that if I buy Fox, I need to use QR15. Maybe I don't buy a tapered and use a spacer.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Some hubs can be converted some can't. I don't know about Tune but doubt it. If I were you, I'd sell the front wheel and build a new one around the frame and fork.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm liking the 15mm, I was able to easily convert a Stan's ZTR hub to 15mm, not sure about converting any other brands though. There can't be too much of a weight penalty as you have to remove the axle from the hub and it's replaced be the axle on the QR, the fork's a little beefier though

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
rockyuphill said:
If only Fox would market the Kabolt they developed for Geoff Kabush's race bike, it uses an 8mm Allen wrench and an electric screwdriver for fast wheel changes in a race service. That would knock a bunch of weight off the 15mm QR axle.
Oooh, now that I have a have a 15mm TA I might have to grab one of these! :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
rockyuphill said:
You and maybe Pete V would be the only guys connected enough to lay your hands on one. :D

If they extended the threaded part of the axle an extra 5mm and drilled a hole across the axle, they could use a very small hitch pin clip as a safety retainer to perform the lawyer tab function.
Should be easy for a machinist. I see a business opportunity.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
rockyuphill said:
If only Fox would market the Kabolt they developed for Geoff Kabush's race bike, it uses an 8mm Allen wrench and an electric screwdriver for fast wheel changes in a race service.
Got any more info or a photo of this?

·
10,938 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see a production axle like kabush's simply because it'd probably run afoul of Manitou's patent on their hex-lock axle system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.