Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your Dart 3 probably is compatible with a quick release wheel, right? That's a 9mm system. The 15mm system is kind of similar, in that there's an axle-looking piece that gets pulled out of the hub in a similar manner as your 9mm QR skewer. But the 15mm system is wildly different, in that you'd need to either convert your hub (which likely isn't possible if the bike came with a Dart 3 and you're using the stock wheel) or get a new wheel; after all, it's impossible to put the 15mm "skewer" through the 9mm hole in your current wheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, yeah, the thru-axle is beefier and way more secure. It's also becoming the standard on mid- to high-end forks (and, thus, mid- to high-end bikes.) But if all you want to do is upgrade the fork right now, stick to QR. If you upgrade the fork and get 15mm thru-axle, you'll also need to get a new wheel (unless, as I said earlier, your front hub can be converted from 9mm QR to 15mm thru-axle, which strikes me as unlikely.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
So what is better... looking to upgrade my fork... have a 9mm Reba. Thinking of going to a SID (which is obviously available either way). My front wheel is easily convertible from the current 9mm to 15mm, so which fork should I get... 9mm or 15mm???

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
So what is better... looking to upgrade my fork... have a 9mm Reba. Thinking of going to a SID (which is obviously available either way). My front wheel is easily convertible from the current 9mm to 15mm, so which fork should I get... 9mm or 15mm???
That's a no-brainer. 15mm Maxle is by far better than a 9mm q/r.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you are running a 100mm fork and ride XC it doesn't really make of much of a difference. I would go with what is the best deal but make sure you get a wheelset that is compatible with the larger axles if you get a 9mm q/r fork. Chainlove has been having a decent deal on a Magura Durin XC 100mm (9mm q/r) which will shave a lot of weight and be as stiff or stiffer than a 15 q/r. If you get a 9mm q/r fork you wont have to rush out and buy a new wheelset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.