Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
150mm on a 03 Bullit?

I got the 05 Sherman Firefly Plus (150mm) by mistake I ordered the Slider plus DC 170mm for my bullit.

I installed it last night and rode around the city hitting 4' drops. Seems plenty stiff and about the same axel to crown height as my 170mm Jr T. so the HT angle is about the same.

It is raining cats and dogs today so I may not be able to get it on a real trail this weekend.

Any ideas... is it ok to run 150mm in the front and 178mm in the back?

I haven't cut the steerer tube so I can still sell it easily.

BTW - The 05 SPV evolve is alot better than the normal 04 SPV.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yep, just push the shuttle in.

Axis said:
I got the 05 Sherman Firefly Plus (150mm) by mistake I ordered the Slider plus DC 170mm for my bullit.

I installed it last night and rode around the city hitting 4' drops. Seems plenty stiff and about the same axel to crown height as my 170mm Jr T. so the HT angle is about the same.

It is raining cats and dogs today so I may not be able to get it on a real trail this weekend.

Any ideas... is it ok to run 150mm in the front and 178mm in the back?

I haven't cut the steerer tube so I can still sell it easily.

BTW - The 05 SPV evolve is alot better than the normal 04 SPV.
I have a Z150 SL on a Bullit, but I swap a 7.875" air shock and an 8.5" 5th E coil back and forth occasionally. My 150 and yours have a similar A/C height. When using my 8.5" shock (like yours), I just push the shuttle forward to keep a reasonable head angle that's not too steep for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNC said:
I have a Z150 SL on a Bullit, but I swap a 7.875" air shock and an 8.5" 5th E coil back and forth occasionally. My 150 and yours have a similar A/C height. When using my 8.5" shock (like yours), I just push the shuttle forward to keep a reasonable head angle that's not too steep for me.
What is the "shuttle" and how do you "push it up".

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
In this pic.

Axis said:
What is the "shuttle" and how do you "push it up".
Look at the "front" of the shock toward the headtube of the bike. You see that black aluminum piece between the shock and the front frame/shock mount with the bolts? That is a shuttle. There are 2 styles--an older slotted style and a newer type with only extra holes for the moving the shuttle. The later model can be flipped around to change the suspension from slightly falling to slightly rising. The slotted model was also changed to straight bolt holes because of the infrequent "sliding" that sometimes occurred under extreme conditions or poor tightening maintenance. Both shuttles allow you to move the shock mount either forward or rearward to change or maintain a desired heattube geometry and/or BB height. This is one of the most useful parts on a Bullit if you're into swapping shocks and forks, and you can just change head angle for preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TNC said:
Look at the "front" of the shock toward the headtube of the bike. You see that black aluminum piece between the shock and the front frame/shock mount with the bolts? That is a shuttle. There are 2 styles--an older slotted style and a newer type with only extra holes for the moving the shuttle. The later model can be flipped around to change the suspension from slightly falling to slightly rising. The slotted model was also changed to straight bolt holes because of the infrequent "sliding" that sometimes occurred under extreme conditions or poor tightening maintenance. Both shuttles allow you to move the shock mount either forward or rearward to change or maintain a desired heattube geometry and/or BB height. This is one of the most useful parts on a Bullit if you're into swapping shocks and forks, and you can just change head angle for preference.
So in your picture could your shuttle go any closer to the HTube? In essence slackening the HT and lowering th BB or is it already as forward as it can go?

Thanks

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yep, here's the current pic.

Axis said:
So in your picture could your shuttle go any closer to the HTube? In essence slackening the HT and lowering th BB or is it already as forward as it can go?

Thanks
Yeah, it's run all the way out with that 7.875" Manitou shock. As you can see here you can still go forward with it. I run it in those more forward holes with the 8.5" 5th E. With a Z150 and a 7.875" shock, it would be a really slack setup in those more forward mounting holes. Might be OK for shuttled or lift runs, but it wouldn't climb worth a flip.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.