Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the Sherman fork on my ASX. I was looking at the Marz. 66RC but it's a little more than I can spend. I was told the VF version would not rebound fast enough for downhill use. So now I'm considering a Z1 150mm. Is anyone running one of these? If so how do you like it? Any thoughts on staying with a 150mm travel fork or should I save my pennies and go with a 170mm? Also posted this on the Yeti board so sorry for the double post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
I just made the switch from an 04 Super T to a Z1 Light on my 05 ASX. The bike corners better now than it did with the Super T due to the lower bb. The steeper head angle means it's not as point and shoot through the sketchy sections. I really wanted better cornering, so the sacrafice was worth it to me.
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gurp said:
I just made the switch from an 04 Super T to a Z1 Light on my 05 ASX. The bike corners better now than it did with the Super T due to the lower bb. The steeper head angle means it's not as point and shoot through the sketchy sections. I really wanted better cornering, so the sacrafice was worth it to me.
You still run it in the 7" rear travel mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Severum said:
Z1 light is fixed 150mm. I bet he is running the rear in 6".
130-150 in the USA TAS

Look on ebay. Much better deals on 66RC forks there. What is your spending limit? We may be able to find you a deal.

Alright, that's it for me, I'm going to watch the Simpsons... :cool: :D
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rather keep the bike in 7" mode only because of the geometry change by running in 6". The bike feels realy slack to me now in 7" so going to 6" would make that worse.
You would think it would be slacker in the shorter travel, but it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Locotiki said:
You still run it in the 7" rear travel mode?
Yeah, it's still in 7" mode, 6" mode ramps up to much. The axle to crown on the Z1 Light is the same as the 6" Breakouts that used to come with the frames.
 

·
customized
Joined
·
3,123 Posts
gurp said:
Yeah, it's still in 7" mode, 6" mode ramps up to much. The axle to crown on the Z1 Light is the same as the 6" Breakouts that used to come with the frames.
What spring are you running in 7" mode? What is your riding weight?

Louis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
450lb spring, riding weight is 170 - 175. I have a 400lb spring I wanted to try in 6 inch mode, but you need a tool from Yeti to get the pin out of the rate link to change the spring. What I really wanted out of this bike was a short travel DH bike, but it's not quite working out the way I want it yet. I wish the bb was lower and the headtube just a tad slacker.
 

·
customized
Joined
·
3,123 Posts
gurp said:
450lb spring, riding weight is 170 - 175. I have a 400lb spring I wanted to try in 6 inch mode, but you need a tool from Yeti to get the pin out of the rate link to change the spring. What I really wanted out of this bike was a short travel DH bike, but it's not quite working out the way I want it yet. I wish the bb was lower and the headtube just a tad slacker.
This one has a 500 pound spring and he is prolly 200 riding weight... may have to get a different spring.

Yeah, that pin needs a press to get it off and on. Yeti has them available... I doubt they are expensive. Maybe $20.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top