Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Monster NRG
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of building some new wheels and wondered why some manufactures like HOPE don’t use all the width of the 150mm hub? It looks like a standard 135mm with a large spacing between the rotor and the spokes on the none drive side. Always been impressed with HOPE and this is the hub I would have gone for but it just looks strange…

·
Registered
706 Posts
jamesstuart said:
Thinking of building some new wheels and wondered why some manufactures like HOPE don't use all the width of the 150mm hub? It looks like a standard 135mm with a large spacing between the rotor and the spokes on the none drive side. Always been impressed with HOPE and this is the hub I would have gone for but it just looks strange…
It allows them the build a dishless wheel. Both sides have the same length spokes and the rim is perfectly centered between the flanges.

·
Registered
706 Posts
jamesstuart said:
Are there any strength differences between the two types?
There are different schools of thought on that. Some people believe that because the spoke tension is identical on both sides and that cornering forces don't stress one side more than the other dishless wheels are longer lasting and slightly stronger. Other's believe that because of the wider stance an offset dished wheel is stronger. It's probably somewhere in between. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that dishless wheels last longer and dished wheels are a little stronger and maybe a bit stiffer. I don't think it's enough of a difference any way you look at it. I do like only having to carry one length of spare spokes for my pro 2s though. I wouldn't make that a make or break buying decision but the wheels I've had that were dishless have lasted longer whether that was the reason or not.

·
Monster NRG
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Blonde said:
There are different schools of thought on that. Some people believe that because the spoke tension is identical on both sides and that cornering forces don't stress one side more than the other dishless wheels are longer lasting and slightly stronger. Other's believe that because of the wider stance an offset dished wheel is stronger. It's probably somewhere in between. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that dishless wheels last longer and dished wheels are a little stronger and maybe a bit stiffer. I don't think it's enough of a difference any way you look at it. I do like only having to carry one length of spare spokes for my pro 2s though. I wouldn't make that a make or break buying decision but the wheels I've had that were dishless have lasted longer whether that was the reason or not.
Cheers bub! Gonna go with de HOPE Pro 2's then....:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.