Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with the purchase of a new rear qr hub. The frame I have is an AMP B-4 and the rear axle is 10X150mm. In my search for a hub I am getting a bit confused on what is available out there. It seems that I am limited to a select few hubs (or my lack of knowledge of the 150mm is limiting me). I see that most 150mm hubs out there are 12mm through axle and made for DH or AM. I measured my existing hub at the QR stub and it is 10mm. I measured my drop-outs and they too are 10mm. Can anyone here give me some education on what will work for this XC setup?

Thanks!

Treetrimmer

·
Does the right thing
120 Posts
To answer your question let me first drop some knowledge. The 150mm axles used by DH/FR hubs are not QR, they are solid bolt-on's and no they wont fit, sorry. They will also be quite heavy unless you plan on $pendig.
Your best bet is to take the 150mm QR axle out of you existing hub, along with the spacers and maybe the cones/lock nuts and retro-fit it into a new 135mm hub. You may have to do quite a few mock assemblies in order to get the correct chain line and spacing to the drop outs.
To put it in simple terms, the hub shell is not what makes the hub 150mm rather, the distance between the lock nuts is what makes it 150mm. (O.L.D. "The distance between the outermost locknuts of a conventional hub axle, or whatever equivalent parts fit against the inside surfaces of the fork ends of a frame. They must match the spacing of the frame that the wheels are to be installed in." sheldonbrown.com) So you can use the axle shaft of your original hub and some spacers to extend the lock nut distance of a standard 135mm hub. However, you should look for a 135mm hub that has the spoke flanges pushed way to the out side so that you will still have the benefits of a 150mm hub in that the wider spoke flanges will build a stronger wheel with an even amount of dish.
Hope this helps.

Question, Can you not rebuild the original hub?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well, the OP may or may not know, for all I know he's measuring the axle end to end instead of just over the locknuts. From what I see on Bikepedia, and what I remember, it doesn't appear to have any special bb nor rear axle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, for some reason I had 150mm stuck in my head. I went back and remeasured and it in fact was 135mm. So I am in good shape. It has been about 4 years since I have been in saddle again and all your information was not futile. I appreciate your replies!

Treetrimmer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.