Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
if you have this set-up, how much does it affect climbing compared to a 130mm fork? TIA.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Talus 100/120/140 fork on my ML. I run it in 120 mode most of the time because it handles better, turns etc. I run it in 140 mode for downhill stuff but it is very light in the front while climbing in 140 and doesn't handle as well. I only use the 100 for extended climbs.

I think 150 would feel way too tall and would not handle well on a ML.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Depends on which 150mm fork... a Pike at 140 sits lower than a Marzocchi AM1 at 140.

At any rate, a 150mm fork on the ML voids its warranty, but if it that is not of importance, the climbing suffers a lot.

Descending it's another tale, but on my Switchblade, the front end actually feels better with the 140mm fork, than 145mm... it unweighs the front end too much.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...most of the users here spec'ed their ML w/ the Fox Talas RLC 110-140 adj. travel. I'm gonna go w/ a 130mm. I was just guna use my Marzocchi from the current ride, an '06 reign which is just too much bike for my skills. The CC deal for the ML-1 was just irresistible at $599 - 'got me a small frame......tnx, fellas

·
Registered
24 Posts
chet3 said:
I have a Talus 100/120/140 fork on my ML. I run it in 120 mode most of the time because it handles better, turns etc. I run it in 140 mode for downhill stuff but it is very light in the front while climbing in 140 and doesn't handle as well. I only use the 100 for extended climbs.

I think 150 would feel way too tall and would not handle well on a ML.
Ditto I run the same Talas fork and agree completely with all the comments above.
150mm will chopper it out and make it only useful on descents. :nono:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Warp said:
Depends on which 150mm fork... a Pike at 140 sits lower than a Marzocchi AM1 at 140.

At any rate, a 150mm fork on the ML voids its warranty, but if it that is not of importance, the climbing suffers a lot.

Descending it's another tale, but on my Switchblade, the front end actually feels better with the 140mm fork, than 145mm... it unweighs the front end too much.
I was able to ask this same question a few months ago. Warranty is also a concerned for me but a few PM's on some TITUS Guys here in the forum gave me peace of mind. :)
Using a 150mm (i.e. TALAS 150mm) on a ML will not void its warranty. I asked this same question because my plan is to use the same fork on an ML. I also pointed out that the reason I'm using this fork is to get the 130mm (150-130-110) feature which is I believe the right fork length for ML's and I plan to ride it at that length/setting all the time.
For long descends the 150mm will come in handy as well as the 110mm for long climbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts