Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an opportunity to buy a Fox Float 36 in 150mm for a good discount and was wondering if the Flux can handle the extra 10mm of travel over the recommended 140mm limit. I know it's overforking the bike in terms of more than just travel but just kicking around the idea right now.

With a 20% sag it would be the same height as my 120mm fork locked out.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well can't get more definitive than that. Thanks DT!

Looking into a cheap used RS Pike and a Push coil conversion to 140mm now.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The alloy Flux was designed at a time when a 32mm fork was a trail fork. Many people raced them XC with light wheels / tires. They are THAT light. Not PIKE, not 36.

A Pike is not any more flexy than a 36 Fox, to me they even feel stiffer, sending lots of loads into the frame, a frame originally designed for a 120 travel 32mm fork.. A frame that is already several years old with a unknown life left. A frame with 120 travel in the rear that cannot hope to keep up with a PIKE or 36, with 142 dropout spacing and tiny chainstay tubes designed for weight savings.

If you want more bike, buy more bike. There is nothing that bike can do as well as a newer bike.

Forks are pry bars. The longer and stiffer they are the more load transfers to frame, making the frame break way sooner. If you don't see the crack, the head tube could snap off sending you to the ground causing certain injury and possibly death. Check your frame. Just like people, the older they get the closer they are to death, regardless of what kind of life they had.

DT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts