Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With th birth of the new 2005 Marzocchi Z1 line looming, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm single crown on a spot?
I'm running a 130mm 2003 Z1 at the mo but looking to upgrade to a 20mm axel and thus weighing up the new range to the current 2004 range.
In the spirit of the Ninja, I need to keep things black and thus the 2005 130mm is no good in grey and the only Black option is the 150mm unit ;o)

Any experience of running a Z150? I know a maverick is 150mm (low A-C) but I'm neither keen on the price nor the air shock element.

Pickies can be seen of the new range on the below link:

http://www.bike-mailorder.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2487

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
do a search

I remember others have discusses this and indicated the Z150 created some funky angles in the 5-Spot plus it may void the warranty. The Maverick is being used since it has the same AC as the Z1 and thus has no effect on the geometry.

You might wait around for the new Fox offerings as they may have less geometry-disturbing dimensions as well.

Have fun.

Dava said:
With th birth of the new 2005 Marzocchi Z1 line looming, does anyone have any experience with a 150mm single crown on a spot?
I'm running a 130mm 2003 Z1 at the mo but looking to upgrade to a 20mm axel and thus weighing up the new range to the current 2004 range.
In the spirit of the Ninja, I need to keep things black and thus the 2005 130mm is no good in grey and the only Black option is the 150mm unit ;o)

Any experience of running a Z150? I know a maverick is 150mm (low A-C) but I'm neither keen on the price nor the air shock element.

Cheers

·
the refurbished one
723 Posts
as posted many times before, espacially from mr.turner himself, the 5spot is designed for a fork with a length of 502mm. + - some mm would be ok but when you see the ac lenght of a Z150 with 538mm(!), the ride will be a little bit "chopperish"! ;)
i do not understand the "marzocchi way" with these incredibly high forks but that is another story....

cheers,
phil

·
Registered
850 Posts
Arent the 05 marz forks adjustable 130 or 150? I havent seen the A-C #'s of the new lines, but i wonder at what setting do they measure/spec? im in the same boat wanting a new fork, and also desire the all black look. I really like my 01 Z1 with ETA. Ive actually been trying to ride without it to see how much i'd suffer.....I like the quick change the ETA system has....

Im also looking forward to seeing the pike.......

·
... I guess you won't be
1,973 Posts
man, I have enough trouble keeping the front end down with my Z1FR! I can't imagine using a fork that would jack the front end up even higher.....

BTW, anyone use that travel reducing thingie - honestly, my bike feels like it's actually harder to pedal uphill when the fork is squished down all the way with that ETA [or whatever it's called] - it just feels "dead-er". But when I release it, my bike has a livelier feel when pedaling [the fork isn't bobbing either] - I can't figure it out [seems like the opposite should occur!]

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
jokermtb said:
man, I have enough trouble keeping the front end down with my Z1FR! I can't imagine using a fork that would jack the front end up even higher.....

BTW, anyone use that travel reducing thingie - honestly, my bike feels like it's actually harder to pedal uphill when the fork is squished down all the way with that ETA [or whatever it's called] - it just feels "dead-er". But when I release it, my bike has a livelier feel when pedaling [the fork isn't bobbing either] - I can't figure it out [seems like the opposite should occur!]
I noticed the same thing on my rfx when I use the ETA to lock down the Z150FR fork. When I turn it on it all of a sudden it feels like my brake rotor is rubbing or something cause the bike feels like it does not roll as easy, even though I am pretty sure it's not the brake rotor. I haven't figured it out yet either. I don't really notice this when on pavement so I thought maybe it was the steep head angle making the front wheel harder to roll over bumps on the fireroads but I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Well

ashayk said:
I remember others have discusses this and indicated the Z150 created some funky angles in the 5-Spot plus it may void the warranty. The Maverick is being used since it has the same AC as the Z1 and thus has no effect on the geometry.

Have fun.
The Z1 HAS an effect on the geometry, it is more than 20mm longer than the reccomanded 495mm and it will slacken the head angle, the seat-tube angle, and rise the BB. Some people like it it but a spot with a Z1 will not climb as confortably as with a correctly sized fork. With a Z1 150 it will be a chopper.

I would buy the new all-mountain marzocchi adjustable 110-130 for the Spot. A Z1 130 or 150 is too long (in my opinion of course).

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I actually have to agree completely with Davide on this one (here's a first! :D )
I actually tried a Z1 this weekend, but found it was great for descending steep technical stuff, but I didnt like it anywhere else as I felt it made the 'spot lose some handling on tight switchbacks for example.
A Z150 would totally slack out the geometry and I remember DT saying that a tall fork would "stress me and the 5-spot out" so I think it would be too much stress on the top tube.
The Nixon seems to only have a small increase in A-C with a little gain in travel (see seperate thread).
My plan is to upgrade to the new 6-pack when it becomes available. I find myself doing more drops and having the urge to shuttle. That way you can run a 6 inch fork and not overstress the frame.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, putting a 150 Zoke on a 5 spot just seems over the top for what it was designed for.
The regular Z1 is the highest that I would go for geometry reasons.
I can't wait to ride the All Mountain fork.
You can set travel anywhere in between 110 and 130,
and it should be perfect for the 5-spot.
That gives you an axle to crown span from 498 up to 518,
and you ride it where you like it the best. Yum.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My only beef with the AM fork is the horrid brown on the AM1 and no QR20. Also, to get black lowers you have to step down a few notches to the AM2, but then it doesnt have all the bells and whistles....If im spending good $$ on a fork next year i dont want to compromise features, and i wont buy that brown suck a$$ color. The z1 line seems like its gotten heavier, but it does come in black and have 20mm....

Im also looking into the Pike and Nixxon, or maybe a closeout 04 z1,,,, just dont think the new marz line really floats my boat right now....

Maybe i should wait till 06 and keep my current 01 z1.

·
Registered
413 Posts
oly said:
My only beef with the AM fork is the horrid brown on the AM1 and no QR20. Also, to get black lowers you have to step down a few notches to the AM2, but then it doesnt have all the bells and whistles....If im spending good $$ on a fork next year i dont want to compromise features, and i wont buy that brown suck a$$ color. The z1 line seems like its gotten heavier, but it does come in black and have 20mm....

Im also looking into the Pike and Nixxon, or maybe a closeout 04 z1,,,, just dont think the new marz line really floats my boat right now....

The 05 Z1 is lighter than the 04 Z1, and it comes in black.
The 130mm version should suit you well.
I am getting the All Mountain SL. It comes in a sweet silver color and will match my 5-spot. And I am putting a RP3 on the back after talking to the guys at Turner.
Also, Some Zoke forks normally come in a couple of different colors. I am hoping that is the case with that stale snot colored AM1. ;)

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
oly said:

EDIT: whoops those are the pics of the SL,2, and 3. Not of the AM1. Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeremy R said:
I am getting the All Mountain SL. It comes in a sweet silver color and will match my 5-spot. And I am putting a RP3 on the back after talking to the guys at Turner.
Also, Some Zoke forks normally come in a couple of different colors. I am hoping that is the case with that stale snot colored AM1. ;)
Thanks for that JeremyR.

I know the 150mm would throw the geometry well out of the window but fancied a change in colour from my current standard drop out grey to a black 20mm fork.
If, as you say the Z1 FR1 comes in 130mm black that'll do me nicely. A five inch fork on the front balances the rear beautifully, I like my current Z1 and find no real problems on the climbs-agreed locked out it is not great (my ETA lever broke off months ago) but even in 130mm mode it is no beef climbing-what you are used to I suppose!

And agreed how could anyone carry off that ridiculous yellow sludge colour that the AM1 comes in :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
Jeremy R said:
Oh, i didnt realize the 05 was coming in lighter. I need to weigh my current Z! to see how much ill gain upgrading. Im no weight weenie, but to some point it does make a difference. The z1 is 130 and/or 150 right?.. are they adjustable? or one or the other? If down the road i decided i did want the 6" feature (maybe for a 6" bike) is it just a matter of a quick rebuild?? Im still in the waiting pattern for the fork. I think its going to come down to a Pike or Z1. I still want 20mm, coil, and DARK colored... (pike is deep blue) Isnt that AM1 just the worst color ever? Pastel mucus brown i call it.

I dont think ill give anything up for the DHX. Ill sacrifice some weight for the performance.

For right now im gonna keep an eye on what people start to say about these new forks. Im in more of a need in the wheel department anyways.....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No Way Z150

Dava said:

Cheers
I have an 03 Z150 FR (coil) that I used on my Heckler, actually worked very well on that bike! I tried it on my Spot and it was TERRIBLE. I don't mean it wasn't as good as the Z1FR I usually run, I mean it totally destroyed the technical singletrack ability of the Spot. One ride and I took it off. Now I have a Maverick on my 5 Spot and it is unbelievable -- get one.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Another mee too... The AM1 is an ugly colora and goes with nothing. At least nothing I plan on using. Mee too... I'm not giving up 20mm thru... Mee too... I want something a bit lighter than my Z1QR20 but I don't want to give up the damping or the stiffness. Mee too.. I find no use for the ETA except maybe when I'm racing my friends on their XC bikes up the rare long fireroad acent.(yes I hang) Mee too...the Z1 climbs MUCH better with the ETA off, on anything rougher than average.

I'm watching the fork releases with great anticipation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts