Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys thanks for helping.
I am 26, just getting the burden of school costs off my back and looking to invest in my heart and adrenal gland with an upgrade from my 98 schwinn moab with an old judy fork and deore everything:D

what to y'all say ? I live in northern california and have been riding some great rolling winding trails up to some pretty steep, long and challenging pedestrian paths in hidden villa and up in skyline open space (think 2800 elevation with the pacific on one side , sf bay area on the other ). I am not maching downhill, but I do like pushing fast through some tree flanked turns and am pedaling hard all the time. some hops and wheelies too but i am not a tricky trickster

i have played soccer and football my whole life and have been doing strength and core training nearly everyday for many years .. :eek: .. I am 6'2 200 lbs my finger tip to finger tip "wingspan" is 78.5 inches.
I am looking to spend $1500 and my priorities are
1. feel
2. durability
3. pedaling performance
4. ....:confused: ... maybe weight cuz I am always on hills

whatever yall think let me know :cool:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
now is a good time to buy a new bike. with the 09' season right around the corner a lot of shops are closing out all their 08' and older bikes. With your budget you could get a good hardtail or even a pretty decent full suspension bike. full suspension might be the way to go since you already are riding a hardtail.

if i were in the market for a full suspension bike i'd probably buy something like this http://www.rscycle.com/2007-Iron-Horse-Azure-Comp-Cross-Country-CLOSEOUT?sc=19&category=55. rscycle even has a 20% off deal going on right now.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
If you're always on the hills I suggest you find a lightweight hardtail because it is more efficient than a fs. Unless the trails are rough this would definitely be the way to go. You can find some fantastic hardtails in your price range with fox forks and everything during this time of year because they'll be trying to move their 08 models. Edit: I reread your post and saw that durability was one of your main points. GT bikes make very durable frames. I know a guy that rides his 96 or 97 GT avalanche 2 or 3 times a week whenever the weather permits him. I have another friend with a GT Zaskar that's even older. Steel would also outlast alum and I know Jamis dragons would be a very nice hardtail. Go and give some bikes a test ride and see what you think. I'm sure some other posters know of durable bikes as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.