Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and loved all the info - albeit some older threads - looking for a $1500 new, leftover, used 29er....BUT I'm 6ft8in and 275lbs - 37in inseam.
So, looking at an xxl frame 22-23"
I'm not hard on a bike, just big..
Here's what I had

Raleigh Talus XL- decent
Trek Cobia 23" - nice, too damn red!
Marin Alpine Trail 22" - current actually pretty good bike - but giving it to
my 6ft4 son..

I've got a deal on a lighty used 23" 2012 Specialized Carve Comp for $900 I can buy.

But looking up to $1500 that will fit me, Rocky Mountain, Trek again, maybe another Marin, Specialized? New, leftovers, etc..

Any taller riders have any good suggestion your input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm not mistaken the '12 Carve I'm looking at is similar to the Crave...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm dumping the 02 Carve for $900 - too much $$ for a used bike. I am looking back at Marin - mine is very well-built and my son is very happy I handed it down to him.. I know it will still be a little tight compared to a 23" Trek but really leaning towards
a Marin Rock Springs Elite
The wheelset and Fox shock alone are worth the price over most others and having about $1300 into it? No brainer

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
My $0.02:

You're 6'8"

The cockpit on a 23" frame (at 660mm +) would be a little tight. Riding a frame that is too small would be a mistake IMHO if you're planning to push the performance envelope.

I'm 6'5" (and likely shrinking a little these days) and ride a 23" frame with a 661mm ETT. I spent a month on the same bike, but in an XL and I'm much happier on the XXL (23").

A bike that doesn't fit is not really a bargain at any price. It's just a nice bike that doesn't really fit you.

You're 6'8".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the insight Jeff, I'm really struggling to find the right bike- and you are correct - but an Ogre is really out of my realm, if I could get the 2012 Carve for $800 might be a way to go, nothing in Trek's current lineup is appealing...

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
The X-Cal and the Rockhopper both give you 670mm+ ETT and the Rockhopper has a tapered headtube (I don't think the X-Cal does). I know $800 bikes don't give you much in the way of a fork, but that could be something you upgrade down the road. Suntour has an upgrade program that could get you into an air spring fork for less than $200 IIRC.

You can never stretch out the top tube down the road unless you get a new frame. $800 on a bike that doesn't fit is $800 less you have to get one that does.

I have ridden VERY expensive bikes that don't fit. Regardless of the componentry, it ain't that great ;~)

Not trying to badger you, just food for thought. In the end, obviously, you should get what makes you happy (as opposed to me being happy).

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I appreciate it - and I'm going to go look at an Ogre today.. at least I won't see myself on the local trail at all!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - bought a Jumbo Cannondale Trail SL 29 1. Leftover 2013. The LBS spent an hour measuring me for an Ogre and oddly enough they had this leftover and fitted it to me - yay! Riser handlebars and Ergon GP2 grips are getting installed.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
My $0.02:

You're 6'8"

The cockpit on a 23" frame (at 660mm +) would be a little tight. Riding a frame that is too small would be a mistake IMHO if you're planning to push the performance envelope.

I'm 6'5" (and likely shrinking a little these days) and ride a 23" frame with a 661mm ETT. I spent a month on the same bike, but in an XL and I'm much happier on the XXL (23").

A bike that doesn't fit is not really a bargain at any price. It's just a nice bike that doesn't really fit you.

You're 6'8".
I'm the same size as the OP, 6'8" & 270#s. I started on an xxl/23" specialized, but found the reach to be uncomfortably long. I'm currently on a 21" frame, albeit using every last bit of seat post that I have to get a proper fit, with a 80mm stem and loving it. Not all frames are alike, nor are similarly sized riders. Getting a proper fit is key.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm the same size as the OP, 6'8" & 270#s. I started on an xxl/23" specialized, but found the reach to be uncomfortably long. I'm currently on a 21" frame, albeit using every last bit of seat post that I have to get a proper fit, with a 80mm stem and loving it. Not all frames are alike, nor are similarly sized riders. Getting a proper fit is key.
You are correct - the jumbo Cannondale is a 22.5" but it fit me better than my Trek Cobia 23" I had because of my reach and oddly enough we are going with riser handlebars due to my back issues....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Everyone is different, glad you found a bike to fit you!

I'm 6'7" with a 34" inseam, my specialized carve xxl with the following mods fits me perfectly:

Handlebars: Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Low Rise 780mm Carbon
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 130mm x 10*
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback 410mm

·
F/K/A warmachine15
16 Posts
I'm a big dude and I love hard tails as much as full sus. The Santa Cruz Highball I just picked up is awesome. If you get aluminum you can pick up a used one in your price range. Unless you have a hook up at a bike shop, then you can probably get new for $1500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.