Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to spend $1500 on a hardtail, and I want to get one that weighs Under 25 pounds. I want as many top components as I can get.

Stumpjumper just falls out of this region but if no bike can match it I will get it.

No ibex. Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've gotten my RockHopper down to just a hare below 25lbs. without too much expense. (See below.) I can't believe it would take too much effort on a Stumpy HT.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pspycho said:
I've gotten my RockHopper down to just a hare below 25lbs. without too much expense. (See below.) I can't believe it would take too much effort on a Stumpy HT.
what rockhopper model do you have?

I thought of lightening up my hardrock pro disc, because the frame is real beefy so it would be sick to have a sub 25 lb. beefy xc bike, but I think it would be very pricey?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've got the base model. Actually had an "05 Hardrock Sport last year. Biggest weight reduction can be had in the tires (very heavy - 800-900grams each), Fork (it's an anchor @ about 6lbs or so), and crankset. I bought a Manitou Skareb on ebay for about $150 and dropped 3lbs. right off the bat. Lighter tires can save you at least another pound.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Check out the Klein Attitudes. Really nice frame, material, and components, and mine came in under 25 lbs right outta the box. You won't be disappointed.

Ross

·
Yasco
59 Posts
It is so easy to build a light hardtail for much less money. I built a 24 lbs singlespeed for less than $500. So, if you want to spend $$$ on brand name (including Motobecane and Ibex brands) then go ahead, pay and straight to the trail. Or, if you want to do it yourself, you will have a great time and chance to learn so much about bikes. Good books are $15-20 like those from Alwood and Zinn; required tools should be less than $100. My impression is that for $1000 you can build a nice XT/Avid hardtail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.