Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I am considering buying a Warrior Pro for my girlfriend who is 5' 5" - My thoughts were that'd I go for a 15". Does anybody have any thoughts on the sizing? Should I go for a 17" or will that be too stretched out?

thx
SR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
what is her inseam measurement?

I'd say at 5'5" and being female (typically longer legs than a male @ that height) I'd go with the 17". If the feel is too stretched out you can throw a shorter stem on 'er, but I think the 15" may feel a little cramped.
 

·
New project, TBA shortly
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
My gf at 5'1" fits the 15 pretty well, and I think that the *main* problem you'd have with the smaller models is that to get the propper leg extention (think thigh) you'd have to have a set-back seatpost and the seat slid back in the rails. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
For someone around 5'5 the frame might fit a little small...5'5 is the max height for the 15" frame. The frames do run kinda small...I'm 5'10 and the 19" frame fits me perfectly! If she has a bigger inseam and longer arms I would consider going up a size to 17". Post some pics of the bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sizing Chart?

horselover said:
For someone around 5'5 the frame might fit a little small...5'5 is the max height for the 15" frame. The frames do run kinda small...I'm 5'10 and the 19" frame fits me perfectly! If she has a bigger inseam and longer arms I would consider going up a size to 17". Post some pics of the bike!
Is there a sizing chart posted somewhere - I went to the Iron Horse site and couldn't find anything. From what everybody is saying it looks like I'm going to go with the 17". I have a few spare stems if it looks a bit big. This is my first foray with Iron Horse, it's good to know that people are passionate about these bikes. The Warrior Pro seems like a great value. BTW - My ride is (built last year) is posted at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=18504

thanks for the help
SR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Actually, I saw the sizing chart on rscycles.com, jsut click on any of the Iron Horse Warriors and if you scroll down to frame geometry it has a sizing chart. It's kinda odd that the Iron Horse site doesn't have a sizing chart?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the 17"

OK I bought the bike last nite from Performance - such a great deal! Anyway, I think the 17 is going to work great, the gf is stoked on the look of the bike and the fact that she's going to have an all mountain bomber.

SR
 

·
mtbjk
Joined
·
285 Posts
heres a couple pics of a 21 inch frame and the seat post is were it was at while i road it and i am 5'7 and definitly was stretched out but i slid the seat forward and rolled the bars back a little and it felt good
Ride On Jan R
 

Attachments

·
mtbjk
Joined
·
285 Posts
horselover said:
Nice rides! How do you think the Warrior rides in comparison to the Hollowpoint? Keeping in mind that the Hollowpoint is spec'd a bit nicer!
the Hollowpoint is definatley a better bike for trail rideing and is alot more plush but again keep in mind how the two are spec'd. also the Hollowpoint is a small 17" frame and the warrior is a 21" frame. My Hollowpoint is under 28 pd's and my freinds warrior is probly 34 to 35 pd's so well the hollowpoint is much easier to ride as for the weight it also rolls alot easier to with the smaller 2.1 fire xc tires that measure more like 1.9's the warrior has motor raptor 2.4 on it and they are a bit to lug around but as for the downhill sections just let it roll and the warrior eats it up. as for most of the sections i ride on the hp and use the brakes i just let the warrior rip and was dropping into stuff pedalling and it loved it.now the climbing is good on both but the warrior also serves a big weight penalty and is a bit to peddal on the climbs but it does hook up well and just roles good allthough its alot more effort to keep it moveing on the flats it will be alot better with smaller tires am going to try to get it out on monday before i have to return it and am putting the tires and wheels off of my hollowpoint on it to see how it does allthough it probly wont be as stable on the drops it should role alot easier will let you no later and for the weight i guess im going to have to put the scall out in the grage and weigh it to see what it is . will let all who are interested no.
Ride On Jan R
heres anothere pic of the two of them with the tires and wheels swapped and i had to drop the pressure on the moto raptor rear tire to just put it on because the tire hits the swing arm and cannot ride it with that set up forit wont spin when installed (bummer because i was hopeing to get a ride on the fat tires on the hp to see what it's like oh well) anyways heres the pic and enjoy
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Great reviews and pics! I can't wait till I get my Warrior frame so I can build it up! Probably another week until I get the frame in. I needed to get a bottom bracket do you know what size would fit on the Warrior? 68x118 or 68x113? I was planning on using a XT crankset. There should be a Iron Horse thread where people post pics of their bikes! Every other bike manufacturer forum seems to have one except Iron Horse!?! Go Iron Horse!!
 

·
mtbjk
Joined
·
285 Posts
horselover said:
Great reviews and pics! I can't wait till I get my Warrior frame so I can build it up! Probably another week until I get the frame in. I needed to get a bottom bracket do you know what size would fit on the Warrior? 68x118 or 68x113? I was planning on using a XT crankset. There should be a Iron Horse thread where people post pics of their bikes! Every other bike manufacturer forum seems to have one except Iron Horse!?! Go Iron Horse!!
dont have the size of the bottom bracket but got a chance to weigh the bike take into consideration it is a large it comes in at 35.5 pds now i did swap the wheel set and tires from my hp and it got it down to 33 pds seeing a pd and a half drop I know that you could respectivly get this bike into the 30 pd rang with the right components lighter fork lighter shock seat pedals post bar stem and crank set and still have a decent all mountain bike and be a respectable trailbike be a weight weeny when building it and it will be well worth it as my hp wheels set is not the lightest and could probly drop another pd with the right wheel and tire combo now weighing the hp it came in at 28 even with my wheel set and came in at 29.5 pds with the warrior setup on it thought i had it a little lighter than that but I guess the stanz and the pedals that i use are making it come in at 28 pds i have an old set of shimano 535 that i prefer to run for they are still working great and broken in to my likeing easy to enter easy to exit but i have a set of wellgo magnesium pedals that are about half the weight as the shimano's but they tend to hang up and dont really care for them hope this helps all you warrior owners and gona be's out it is a bike well worth owning go for it
RIDE ON Jan R
 

·
mtbjk
Joined
·
285 Posts
horselover said:
Great reviews and pics! I can't wait till I get my Warrior frame so I can build it up! Probably another week until I get the frame in. I needed to get a bottom bracket do you know what size would fit on the Warrior? 68x118 or 68x113? I was planning on using a XT crankset. There should be a Iron Horse thread where people post pics of their bikes! Every other bike manufacturer forum seems to have one except Iron Horse!?! Go Iron Horse!!
get the right components and you wont be sorry go for light parts wheels tires good choice for crank set i run and xt on my hp and love it also think light on post stem and bars and you can get a 30 pd bike relatively cheap and if you can afoard a lighter fork go for it and possibly a cane creek rear air shock they make the lightest shocks and they perform well check with speedhubnate and he will vouch for them and the rear shock length is 7.5 inch's with a 2 inch stroke id go with a 120 mill travel front fork and that should speed the steering up just a bit to make it a really nice trailbike also a shorter stem possibly a 90 or even a 70 mm stem and it should steer very well as for bars the 27 inch wide bars handel good and fills like it gives you more stability on tough technical drops but gets tight going threw the tight tree sections 24 inch wide is what i prefer and would fill alot better for me . well enjoy and keep us posted on the build
RIDE ON Jan R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Yeah, I used to have a Kona...I loved the way it rode but it seemed a little bit lacking in the rear...it only had 3.5 rear travel. I don't think it weighed more than 30lbs...never weighed it but it was fairly light. I sold the Kona so I'm planning on switching the parts over, the Kona only weighed about 4-5lbs w/ a Cane Creek AD-5..I really liked that shock, I got it cause I heard that it was basically the same as the AD-12 w/out all the external adjustments, I was very pleased how it performed...smmmoooottthhhh! So as long as the Warrior Pro frame isn't that heavy I think I could get the bike at around 30lbs. I was thinking about putting on a Minute 130mm fork. Its adjustable travel so I can play around with it and see what length I like it set at. I noticed that the lower end Warriors came with 130mm forks and the Elite is spec'd with a 115mm Reba...maybe for quicker handling/race oriented.
 

·
New project, TBA shortly
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Jan R said:
get the right components and you wont be sorry go for light parts wheels tires good choice for crank set i run and xt on my hp and love it also think light on post stem and bars and you can get a 30 pd bike relatively cheap and if you can afoard a lighter fork go for it and possibly a cane creek rear air shock they make the lightest shocks and they perform well check with speedhubnate and he will vouch for them and the rear shock length is 7.5 inch's with a 2 inch stroke id go with a 120 mill travel front fork and that should speed the steering up just a bit to make it a really nice trailbike also a shorter stem possibly a 90 or even a 70 mm stem and it should steer very well as for bars the 27 inch wide bars handel good and fills like it gives you more stability on tough technical drops but gets tight going threw the tight tree sections 24 inch wide is what i prefer and would fill alot better for me . well enjoy and keep us posted on the build
RIDE ON Jan R
can we take up donations to get you a new keyboard? I think you're "." button is broken... :p

j/k, thanks for the write-up!
 

·
mtbjk
Joined
·
285 Posts
dante said:
can we take up donations to get you a new keyboard? I think you're "." button is broken... :p

j/k, thanks for the write-up!
Dante, thanks for the reply and i dont think it's the keyboard, just me, I never could type very well. But as for the IH bikes they truly are both great rides and the Warrior loves to go fast down hill's. It's a lug to pedal around the flats and i wanted to take it out with my HP wheel's and tire's but it's not going to happen today. Maybe I can get my freind to let me take it out again so I can try it with the other setup I really did like it and hopeing I can talk the wife into letting me get one for the bigger stuff. And for the Hollowpoint, thats my choice ride it rocks on everything allthough not as fast on the downhill stuff it is faster and more nimble on everything else. The DW link rocks and work's very well, keep up the good work and the HP frame is the one you sent me about 5 month's ago and that black swingarm is the one you sent me for the warranty issue that i was haveing with the offset to the right and haveing chainline problem, ( But all is well now and have not had a problem since installing the replacement swingarm ). Thank's again to all of you at IHBC for the best customer service. You all truly rock . A very satisfied IH customer.
RIDE ON Jan R
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top