Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
$15 is the current bid, not a buy now price. Also, note that they list shipping charges at $22.

I wouldn't buy carbon bars off E-bay. I have heard about too many counterfit products.
Carbon bars can break, and handlebars are one of the critical items on a bike you don't want to break. The added confidence of knowing you had an Easton or Bontrager bar for example, would be worth the price, IMO.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would maybe buy steel/chromo bars from there but not carbon, I bought a set of profile design carbon bars which have a real good rep and I dont even trust those, but that is just a mental thing for me.... I know I def wouldnt trust no name carbon bars.

Anyway in case you are wondering I just did a search for completed auctions for the bars u posted and they typically sell for like $15-16.00 plus the shipping cost.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
I have had a friend have a carbon stem snap, a steerer tube smashing through the front of your jaw is more messy than you could possibly believe.

bars might not be as critical, but picture that torn flesh and really work out if it is that important to you to get somethign shiny

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
more than likley they are name brand factory rejects that are being resold as generics... or maybe not seems like a gamble. I only own carbon bars with brand names so when they find it broken and lodged in my head I remember who to sue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I know is the road bikes are very popular on the roadbike review forum which is what convinced me to get the road bike, everyone including me loves them. I was just seeing if anyone had bought the mtb bars. The company that makes the stuff is http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/Prclass.asp?Id=1. I was told that there is only 4 factories in the world that have the ovens that they use to bake the carbon with and most likely this company make alot of the name brand bike we ride here, not sure thats true but just what I was told.

I might just buy name brand bars but I am going to get the seat post and bottle cages from that guy on ebay.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
jdubb12 said:
I was told that there is only 4 factories in the world that have the ovens that they use to bake the carbon with and most likely this company make alot of the name brand bike we ride here, not sure thats true but just what I was told.
I doubt that is true but even if it is that does not include the variations in design and quality put into the various 'baked' brand name bits. Clearly someone like Ritchey or Salsa has put a lot more time and effort into their build quality and design of their carbon bars even if they 'baked' in the same oven. This does not even take into account the various thicknesses and qualities of carbon used.

Buy some and try them at your own risk. Carbon on road is one thing, carbon slamming down a rock garden is a very different build.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Strange premise

The whole premise of not buying these bars is that branded ones are less likely to break, or dont break:nono:

Sorry, I have seen my fair share of branded components fail. Also frames.

These might just be production over-runs or rejects, but they carbon. That in itself is a risk.

Just make sure you live in Canada or have medical insurance;)

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
You can get a used name brand bar off ebay for around that same price. Including shipping you're looking at close to $40 for a cheap bar??? Like everyone else has already stated: some things you want to be sure about...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Succesfully buyed flatbar (600mm, 31.8, costs me 35$ w shipping to russia) - a little a bit heavy(152g), not round inside and does not insertions for bar ends.

I think it is same carbon handlebars as fake ritchey wcs, but for very reasonable price :)

·
I'M A CHEAPSKATE
306 Posts
I was sent a set to test about three years ago when they were being developed. I've beat these thing to death and back to life several times and they're still holding up fine. They are a little heavy though at 150grams or so for the 31.8. Overall I'd give them 9.5. Could be a 10 if they shaved off 25-30 grams

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
mmmyeaaahhh, no

jdubb12 said:
Is anyone using these bars I have the ebay carbon road bike and have no complaints at all it is a sick bike but just curious if anyone has the mtb bars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Full-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a56cbad71
For something as critical as a bar, there has to be some ass kicking recourse to a company. I ran Performance Bike carbon bars for years with no issues. This is probably the same one with a different label. Difference is, there is no company behind the ebay one. Performance would recall them if they found there was a bad batch. I don't think you would have the same backbone with this ebay seller.

If this is the same 23" wide flat bar with 3 degree sweep, your wrists will not love you much anyway.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Funny I looked at their website and the Mtn frame looks like a Sette frame......hmmm where's dremmer when we need em?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.