Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my bars where I need them however, my bike needs to go on a diet for the season. Anyone have a heads up on a 15 degree 110mm stem manufacture.

I am presently running a Thompson and it weighs twice what I ran on my old race bike, not to mention that by the size of it looks like it belongs on a dirt bike.

Any news is good news....

Cheers,

C.K.

P.S. I love my 29'er! I am still having issues having my bars so high though......

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I'm a little confused? You want a 15* stem, but you don't like your bars so high on your 29er? Are you looking to run it upside down?

I have a Thomson X2 stem stem 17 degree, its supposed to weigh ~145gm. Is that too heavy? I use shims those since its an OS stem. Even 17 degrees is not that much, but I was trying to get my bars higher...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's upside down..... My current Thompson is somewhere around 200gm and is enormous......

I ran a Ritchey last year that weighed nothing and worked amazing, unfortunately the 6 degree standard that they make is a little to moto on a 29'er for me. I am old and it's hard to change my ways....

Cheers,

C.K.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Knuckledraggerz said:
Yes, it's upside down..... My current Thompson is somewhere around 200gm and is enormous......

I ran a Ritchey last year that weighed nothing and worked amazing, unfortunately the 6 degree standard that they make is a little to moto on a 29'er for me. I am old and it's hard to change my ways....

Cheers,

C.K.
Well then how about that 110 Thomson X2 upside-down?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Yes, a heavy stem will totally kill your results.

Get another handlebar. Needed deep drop will actually open opportunities to ride more comfortable multi-position handlebars. Although those might be heavy and kill your speed.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Knuckledraggerz said:
I finally got my bars where I need them however, my bike needs to go on a diet for the season. Anyone have a heads up on a 15 degree 110mm stem manufacture.

I am presently running a Thompson and it weighs twice what I ran on my old race bike, not to mention that by the size of it looks like it belongs on a dirt bike.

Cheers,

C.K.

P.S. I love my 29'er! I am still having issues having my bars so high though......
That's a great stem you've got there. Syntace makes the Superforce with a 20 degree angle that is a tad lighter than the Thomson (you might save 20 - 40 grams max going with the 105mm at 169g - or 159g with Ti bolts). Salsa makes the Moto Ace S.U.L. stem with a variety of angles and lengths that, depending on the length, weigh the same or more than the Thomson. They even have a 30 degree angle which ought to get you down closer to the tire.:D

Deda Elementi Pista weighs less and looks pretty kook with a severe angle and several lengths available...

BB

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Honestly

Knuckledraggerz said:

Cheers,

C.K.

i think your going to experience flex with anything lighter. i say go thomson. What about reducing rotating weight?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the heads up Fellers..... Oh trust me. The stem is just the beginning of what is getting the boot. (Wheels, bars, tubes, etc., etc.)

The whole change from the use of 15 degree to 73 scale was what was killing me. I will go w/ my old standard Ritchey stem and titec ti bars and be stoked.

Cheers,

C.K.

P.S. Old habits die hard! Hell, l managed to race something quite modern in comparison to my norm, so I am slowly turning around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.