Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a barely used Trek Fuel 90 in excellent condition at my local LBS yesterday, that the owner is willing to part with for a smile, a coupla bucks and a handshake. Unfortunately, the bike is only 15.5 inches, while I'm just shy of the 6''2' mark. I've been looking for a deal on a full suspension bike like this for a while, because bikes in South Korea, where I live, are very expensive. My questions: 1) Is it advisable to ride a medium sized frame when I usually ride a 19 inch frame? 2) Is it possible to change the bike's setup to fit me better? I'd appreciate any input.

All the best from an Arctic South Korea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm 5'6" and ride a top fuel 15.5". If the shop owner is even willing to sell you that small of a bike knowing your 6'2" you need to leave the shop and not come back. Remember you needa bike that fits you not the other way around. Good luck with your shopping.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm 5"11 and the 18.5 fits like a glove. No chance you'll make that 15.5 fit and still enjoy riding in a month.

If the price is really good, I agree with others who've said use it for parts and buy a frame that fits you right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody for your responses. I agree, a 15.5 inch frame is simply too small. Living in Korea it is very difficult to find large bikes, since most people ride small/medium bikes. Another problem is price. There's a lot of demand for bikes, which drives the price up, and a bike that costs $2000 in the US will cost $2500 here. The same is true for parts. Well, at least labour is cheap; free most of the time.

All the best.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Thiuda said:
Living in Korea it is very difficult to find large bikes, since most people ride small/medium bikes.
But I bet the local women love your 6'2" height. I'm the same height and when I was in Tokyo it was funny to be able to see over the massive crowds of Shibuya.

Some help: What about finding a used bike on a US Craig's List and talking the owner into sending it to you but saying it's worth much less then it is to minimize the tax?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.