Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any one in the forums riding a 15.5 or 16 sized 29er.
Im 5'6 ish and are looking for feedback on there heights and horizontal bar sizes.
Im placing an order tomorrow for a xtc 1 29er and need to confim sizing, bike shop says 17.5 which i have riden felt a litte long in the reach to the bars. The dont have a 15.5 in stock.
Im a 31" inseam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the problem bike shop wont order in unless i take it. Very little to choose from rural country town.
My wife has a hardrock 15.5 in a 26' felt a little cramp but i thought i could always extend the stem
Just going through the forum and no one seems to ride 15.5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see. I'm 5'9 with 32" inseam and have a 17" frame and wouldn't want anything bigger. I rode my wife's 13" and it is too small for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am 5,7ish with 31" inseam and from personal experience I can tell you that the 17.5" is indeed long.......Before I got my Kona Big Kahuna 16" I tested for size a lot of 29ers from Specialized, Trek/GF, Scott and Kona and the fit of the small size bikes was fine except from the Trek/GF bikes that I needed a longer stem. I simply did not fit properly in the 17.5" or 18" bikes. Of course this is down to personal preferences, but in the end you can easily adjust a smaller bike by adding a setback post or/and a longer stem.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
5'7" on a long day 30" inseam. I ride a 16" in 29er

If your LBS won't order one for you, or is trying to make you "fit" what they have in stock, it's time to find a new bike shop. Rural or not, you have internet access and the power of the consumer is what will drive a shite bike shop like you're describing out of business.

Aren't there any shops withing driving distance? I'd search for one, call them see what they have, otherwise try to find an online retailer that can work with you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am 5'5" and ride a 15 Specialized Rockhopper 29er. Perfect fit for me and I particularly like the curved top tube which allows more standover.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
Just built up a small Niner EMD for my wife....she is 5'4" on a good day.....fits her really well with a 70mm stem and straight post.

Before that she was in a Small/15.5 KHS Flagstaff without any problems.

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
Ditto here

ducatiss750 said:
Im 5'6 ish and are looking for feedback on there heights and horizontal bar sizes. I'm a 31" inseam.
A little shorter inseam but longer reach then you probably. My first 29r. I ride a 16" in both 26 and 29. I could really feel the difference between a 15.5-17" sizing on 26" bikes and stick with the 16".

IMHO on the 15.5" the seat tube/seat/pedal positiion relating to your inseam (seems long for our size) will be more easily adjusted then having to run too short of stem to compensate for reach you felt on the 17". You'll already feel abit "small" or "stretched out" riding the big wheel anyway and will want to feel like you are in control of the bike, vs it guiding you around, since the riding dynamics will be a little different then the 26.

As far as stem/bars I run a 90mm w/low risers and 100mm w/flat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 5,8 and have a 16" Scandal with 90/100mm stem.
I think the 15,5" should be right(I had a 18" Kona Big Kahuna , it was tall, and a bit long too...)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Fat Bob said:
5'7" on a long day 30" inseam. I ride a 16" in 29er

If your LBS won't order one for you, or is trying to make you "fit" what they have in stock, it's time to find a new bike shop. Rural or not, you have internet access and the power of the consumer is what will drive a shite bike shop like you're describing out of business.

Aren't there any shops withing driving distance? I'd search for one, call them see what they have, otherwise try to find an online retailer that can work with you.
Agreed...... ETT is more important than standover. Ease into it and do some research. Also, everyone is discounting '10's to make room for '11. Might be able to get a discounted bike with better frame and components for the same price. Make the LBS earn the sale. Other wise, take your hard earned money elsewhere.

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
One more thing

ducatiss750 said:
Is there any one in the forums riding a 15.5 or 16 sized 29er.
Im 5'6 ish and are looking for feedback on there heights and horizontal bar sizes.
Im placing an order tomorrow for a xtc 1 29er and need to confim sizing, bike shop says 17.5 which i have riden felt a litte long in the reach to the bars. The dont have a 15.5 in stock.
Im a 31" inseam.
Props to the bike, and more importantly another tip for getting the 15.5" frame.

Superbike373 said:
This is my first 29'r. I have only test rode a few others. I was unsure if a 29'r was for me. None felt like this. I think it would be closest to a Fisher Rig. The chainstays are 17.1 very short by 29'r standards. It has a bent seat tube to aid clearance. I am not sure how fat a tire you could get on the back. It has a 1.9 on it and there is 1/2" or more clearance all the way around. A 2.2 would fit very easy. The top tube on my medium is 23.5. Pefect for me at 5'9". This bike is a M and they recomend it for 5'7" to 5'10". The front end has a tapered steerer Fox F29 RL with the new 15QR. When you add in the deep dish wheels semi high (ish) flage hubs, you get a rock solid front end! Climbing is just unreal. I broke the rear end loose on a very steep loose hill. I was standing and hammering a big (too big) gear. I just sat down and got traction, up I went. I got very brave on some down hills. I was cornering with no brakes where I used to scrub speed! I was of course testing It looks to me Giant went to the drawing board with a goal. Giants goal must have been to smash the 29'r stereotypes. I think it has nearly the tight turning abilities of a 26" bike mixed with the traction and increased cornering of a 29'r. Seems like the best of both worlds to me. Also with the short chain stay, wheelies and bunnyhops feel pretty much the same as a 26" XC bike. I was on the fence of a 29'r or a 26". I rode this and it was all over. Have you ever been looking for a bike and BAM you know that you found the perfect bike? It weighs 26 lbs without pedals. My only complaint is how much I am jonesin' to ride! I have had 12 or so mountain bikes and as of right now this is my favorite. :thumbsup: Nothing to complain about!

·
Trail Ninja
6,171 Posts
I'm 5' 7" with 29" inseam and tried both 15.5 and 17.5 in Gary Fisher 29er geo. They both fit me fine. I have a 60mm stem on the 17.5.

The 15.5 had issues with toe overlap wearing size 9 US/43 Euro shoes and 2.2 tires on the front. It never caused a crashed, but startled me when it buzzed on the climbs--it's pretty rare to turn that much with your foot forward all the way. I had to get a 400mm seatpost, since the 350mm was about an inch lower than I like for climbing at max insertion. The 17.5's seatpost is barely just above as low as I can slam it in without cutting it.

You might be able to go either way, IMO. I like the bigger big better, since it feels nicer at speed due to the longer wheelbase and because my "centered" position has more weight toward the rear. I go a lot faster now that I don't have my ass over the rear, behind the saddle, whenever things look a bit hairy.

Edit: I should write owned and ridden for months, not just tried in the first line.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
How long was the stem on the bike you test rode? Did it feel a little long that you could compensate it by changing the stem to something 10-15mm shorter, or would you end up with a 50mm stem to get into a comfortable position?
I have two frames that I am quite comfortable on. One has a 22.75" top tube, the other has a 23.3", but has a higher front end, and a 5mm shorter stem.

I just looked up the specs on the Giant, and there is a 1" difference in toptube length between the small and medium.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the replies I think I will go for the 15.5 the 17.5 i rode we adjusted the stem from 100mm to 90 mm still to long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I went the 17.5 I would need a 60mm stem which would give me a overall reach of 655mm.
The 15.5 with the standard stem is an overall reach of 660mm.

Is a 60mm to short. Does any one with the 15.5 have trouble with there shoes rubbing on the wheel on tight turns

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
sounds like

ducatiss750 said:
If I went the 17.5 I would need a 60mm stem which would give me a overall reach of 655mm.

Is a 60mm to short. Does any one with the 15.5 have trouble with there shoes rubbing on the wheel on tight turns
A GF thiang. :eekster:

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
sounds like

ducatiss750 said:

A GF thiang. :eekster:

·
Trail Ninja
6,171 Posts
The shorter stem makes it easier to lift the front and makes it steer faster, two things that would help remedy some downsides of going 29er. I have a 685mm wide Monkeylite low riser held on by a Syntace F109 60mm stem and it's a good set up. I haven't done anything to the seatpost yet. I bet I am missing being able to handle descents, drops, rocks, jumps, bunny hops, and all sorts of control improvements by being able to drop the seatpost. Maybe I'll buy an adjustable one rather than cut this.

There's a trend going on where people are going short stem with wide handlebars to get more control. The trend also opened up a lot of questions about comfortable hand positions too.

http://betterride.net/blog/2010/2-things-you-can-buy-and-instantly-improve-your-bike-handling/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts