Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I'll be driving south from LA to an evening thing in San Diego, and I'm looking for a ride on the way down. Always been curious about the Laguna Hills area - I know there's some great riding down there.

I'll be riding solo, so I'd like something relatively well-traveled. I ride a RIP 9, don't mind climbing about 3,000ft. over 15-20 miles, but really want a fun singletrack descent, preferably toward the end. Not looking to huck, but I love rough, technical stuff just as much as a good flow.

Open to other suggestions as well, though preferably not too far off the route down the 405/5 to San Diego.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's definitely on my list...isn't the trailhead like 45 minutes from the 5? I may not have that kind of time...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
That's definitely on my list...isn't the trailhead like 45 minutes from the 5? I may not have that kind of time...
10-15min

Another good option is Aliso. Start on trails from Canyon Vistas Park. If you take 73 Tollroad exit at Glenwood, you are about 2min from the park. Just take Pacific Park Dr. and turn right at Canyon Vistas. Or just exit on El Toro Rd. from 405 and in 10min you are there.
Another option how to get to Aliso would be 133 from 5 or 405, exit on El Toro.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts

It is when you shuttle......when you climb from the lower trailhead, it doesn't take long at all.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
San Juan is maybe 20 minutes from the 5. The lower trailhead is about off of Hwy 74, about a mile back on Hot Springs Rd. Check out MountainbikeBill's site for details--and definitely do the Lollipop loop (clockwise) above Cocktail Rock for some bonus chunk.

Another option is combining Laguna Coast-El Moro parks. Lots of fun trails, although most of the best are currently undocumented, so a guide would be best. You could start at the Willow trailhead--off the 133 about 10 minutes from the 5.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
^^ Closer to 20. The lower trailhead is about off of Hwy 74, about a mile back on Hot Springs Rd.
Yeah what these guys said. It's a stout but very fun climb, all single track, and then you turn around and come back down what may be the best descent in the SoCal area. Since it's out and back, you make the call how far you want to go.

·
most memberable
721 Posts
For a second there, I thought this was about the Laguna Mountain Rec Area in east San Diego County...of which there are sufficient miles to satiate the palate...but, alas, it twas not.

Carry on.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
How about the San Clemente single tracks? Lots of options and it is just off the freeway

1 - 10 of 10 Posts