Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was juist wondering what sort of rims the X317's are and if this is a good deal. I've read some reviews that say the XM117's which I currently have are better than the X317's, is this true? I think this is a good deal regardless of the rims, since a set of XT hubs costs around $80-$100 normally, Am I right???? They're on Nashbar for this price if anyone's interested.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The X317 rim I think is now essentially the 717; I'm not familiar with the 117. The X317's used to retail for 60 each, you can get them for 45 each or so now that they are an old model; they were Mavic's lightest disc rim (they're a bit narrow for my taste, but a fine xc rim). The XT756 hubs are also old stock and you can probably pick up a set for about $60-70 now.

$149 for this wheelset isn't a bad price; build quality might be okay, but might need attention on receipt.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
The X317 rim I think is now essentially the 717; I'm not familiar with the 117. The X317's used to retail for 60 each, you can get them for 45 each or so now that they are an old model; they were Mavic's lightest disc rim (they're a bit narrow for my taste, but a fine xc rim). The XT756 hubs are also old stock and you can probably pick up a set for about $60-70 now.

$149 for this wheelset isn't a bad price; build quality might be okay, but might need attention on receipt.
Yeh I know they're older stock products, but with having the wheel laced and the spokes it's a pretty good price - even if I have to true them a bit when I get them. Don't want any of the newer Shimano disc stuff 'cause it's all Shimano specific and I'm running Hayes ISIS discs.

117's are older rims I guess GIANT got off Mavic cheap for the Trance3 - they seem to hold their true pretty damn good and are also very strong front the pot holes I've run them into while riding on a night (enough to bottom off my rear suspension)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.