Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: Titus / Marzocchi love thread!

Yesterday took a really nice ride at Chiluca, my usual riding spot.

Last ride I rode a more vertical stuff, so I had the fork set at 145mm and had the handlebars raised a few mm's (around 3/16") for it.

This terrain is flatter all over but with some henious/techy climbs in between and really choppy terrain... more twisting singletrack too, but not faster.

Weather was P-E-R-F-E-C-T!! Low 20's (in centigrades - low 70's for you weird units users), dirt was compact with a fine layer of dust on sun bathed areas and inside the forest mid-packed soil.... YUMMY!!! :thumbsup:

The Switchblade/AM1 marriage is THA SHIZZLE!!!!

I expected a very light nose, but pumping the shock 5psi (130PSI for stupid plush - former setting, 135PSI for SHIZZLE mode) made the bike to wallow less on the rear end without compromising performance and compliance to small stuff. It kept the nose stuck even at 145mm up front. There are climbs where ETA is mandatory even at 130mm, but I find myself using it only when you have easy terrain up to go.

Cornering in twisty singletrack was more a job for the pilot now. You just miss the neuralgic-like handling that you have at 130 or below. I'm not complaining, as I was clearly hauling arse, but handling the twisty stuff was easier with some less travel. It ain't bad at all... it's just that the lower setting gave superb hangling second to none and now you need to pilot the bike A TINY BIT more.

And descending.... aww, man! I will just say that it made the descend a breeze. It floats over rocks and everything on its way. On the fast stuff is just nimble and stable at the same time. My limiting were the brakes as the Julies are just not cutting it... the bike makes you ride faster and harder, too much work for the ageing Julies. And the tyres... The Adrenaline up front is very nice, it's a terrific guiding tyre in nearly every condition, but sometimes I was wishing for a wider footprint.

As the title says, the AM1 is 145mm of pure pleasure. I think I have it finally dialed. Maybe I still need to play with the ETA oil levels, but that's almost a non issue.

The AM1 is stiff as they come. So the frame. They actually saved my bacon TWICE yesterday. On one occasion, I was over a rock garden and the front tyre bited some loose rock that send it off track... in comes the fork/chassis to put it back in place. The second time was a close call as we were riding (three of us) close to each other and cruising a bit faster than JRA. I hopped the bike but sheited the landing and the front wheel went off track, making me to cross the fireroad towards one of my buddies... A quick order to the handlebars and the fork put the bike vertical and nice again. A flexier fork or frame would had make me go over a barbed wire fence that borders the trail.

All in all... Almost a year down the road, I'm stoked with my ride. This bike is impressive in every bit. It's simply bigger, better, faster, more.

Big Tuhmbs up to Titus, Marzocchi and Whafe!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Thats cool mang. I really dig the all mountain 1- ETA is killer. Nice to have the TAS as well. Last ride I did, we were riding flat twisty trails, some dudes had TALAS's and some of us had AM1's, everybody agreed that less travel was better.

I had a similar break-through with my roco's recently- the TST-R is breaking in and is starting to really come alive. Also, I found that the range of rebound adjustment was greater than I had previously thought- apparently the adjusters are sticky when new, I was able to free mine up by using a screw driver on the flat-head screw behind the adjustment knob. After freeing it up that way, the slowest setting is very slow, nearly lock-down. 'Zocchi rules!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FM said:
Thats cool mang. I really dig the all mountain 1- ETA is killer. Nice to have the TAS as well. Last ride I did, we were riding flat twisty trails, some dudes had TALAS's and some of us had AM1's, everybody agreed that less travel was better.

I had a similar break-through with my roco's recently- the TST-R is breaking in and is starting to really come alive. Also, I found that the range of rebound adjustment was greater than I had previously thought- apparently the adjusters are sticky when new, I was able to free mine up by using a screw driver on the flat-head screw behind the adjustment knob. After freeing it up that way, the slowest setting is very slow, nearly lock-down. 'Zocchi rules!
Thanks, FM!!!

Yeah, Zoke stuff takes its time to set up/break in, but once past that fence, it's smoooove sailing!!

I'm still torn between Pushing my shock or replace it with a Roco Air (whenever available) so reading more about your TST-R is really good info. The RS Pearl should have the first year bugs polished out and it would be nice to try too.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, AM!!

So... for whomever is interested, settings are as follows:

Rider weight: 145 lbs - dry, 150 fully loaded.

Fork: Marzocchi All Mountain 1 2005
Travel: 145mm
Pre-Load: 15 pumps of a regular shock pump. No reading on a 300PSI gauge
Sag: 38mm (26.2%)
Oil Levels:
TST Cartridge - Yamalube G5 Fork Oil Semi-Synth (Blend)
TST Leg - Yamalube G10 Fork Oil Semi-Synth - 40ml
ETA - Yamalube G10/G5 50%-50% Mix - 150ml

Compression: Full Open to 1/4 of turn open. Detent ball on TST missing.
Rebound: 4 Clicks from Fully Open

Rear shock: Fox Float R 2005
Sag: 12mm (25%)
Pressure: 135 PSI

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Sweet Stuff Warp!

Your right in all my head aches it comes down to the fact that the Zoke has really brought my riding to an entirely different level, and I am absolutely making any trail or obstacles my b!tch!

And I can also add that my new AM1 SL really seems to tie my bike in a lot better. I can notice the stiffness of the TA, and chassis much more with the new fork "somehow", and it really balances out the bike much better in the air.... it's much more natural to keep the front up.

Good write up Warp, very exciting!:thumbsup:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blackagness said:
And I can also add that my new AM1 SL really seems to tie my bike in a lot better. I can notice the stiffness of the TA, and chassis much more with the new fork "somehow", and it really balances out the bike much better in the air.... it's much more natural to keep the front up.
You nailed it, BA!

If there's a "complain" about the fork is that you can feel the weight... it makes a light frame (like all Titus) to feel a bit nose heavy. Nothing bad at all, it can be compensated putting the arse further back.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I hate to be a turd. And by no means am I dogn on yall’s set up. But, I’d like to share my viewpoint on this topic.

To me, bottom bracket height is crucial to maximizing handling performance on a mountain bike. Too low and you can’t pedal thru rock gardens. Too high and its not as fun to rail corners.

I love the benefits of a tuff stiff fork and the slack angles. But I want to have as low of a bottom bracket as reasonable. Putting a tall fork on a ML is counter productive to me, the ML already has a relatively high BB. A taller fork just increases that.

Sure the homers like to put tall fork on their five spots homer mobiles, but the spot had a relatively low BB. So there is some method to that madness.

But hey, if you like the monster truck. Then do it. I’m just explaining my view of the trade off.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
demo_slug said:
I hate to be a turd. And by no means am I dogn on yall's set up. But, I'd like to share my viewpoint on this topic.

To me, bottom bracket height is crucial to maximizing handling performance on a mountain bike. Too low and you can't pedal thru rock gardens. Too high and its not as fun to rail corners.

I love the benefits of a tuff stiff fork and the slack angles. But I want to have as low of a bottom bracket as reasonable. Putting a tall fork on a ML is counter productive to me, the ML already has a relatively high BB. A taller fork just increases that.

Sure the homers like to put tall fork on their five spots homer mobiles, but the spot had a relatively low BB. So there is some method to that madness.

But hey, if you like the monster truck. Then do it. I'm just explaining my view of the trade off.
Hater in the house!

:D

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Warp said:
Thanks, AM!!

So... for whomever is interested, settings are as follows:

Rider weight: 145 lbs - dry, 150 fully loaded.

Fork: Marzocchi All Mountain 1 2005
Travel: 145mm
Pre-Load: 15 pumps of a regular shock pump. No reading on a 300PSI gauge
Sag: 38mm (26.2%)
Oil Levels:

Gee warp, you forgot to put down your height, eye color, turn ons/offs, and favorite position(mish,doggie,rcg???)........Nice review and stats tho';)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Warp said:
Oil Levels:

I keep rebound 4 clicks from fully open.

Warp, you have allot of knowledge tuning Am's. If you have time I would really appreciate it if you could explain oil levels and all the tuning options along what is affected or controlled ?~? Basically a AM1 tuning manual :D .

Maybe you could put it on your website as well.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
geolover said:
Hater in the house!

Not really. I think he gives another view on this. Maybe it just proves that people are people, and like different setup. I'm still waiting for !"#!$!"$# customs to clear my fork and wheels, but I was not as intrested in more travel as in the 20mm front hub and zochi damping (from what I've heard). Of course I will ride it in 140 or maybe a bit more, but I don't really know that until I tried.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
geolover said:
Hater in the house!

I hate on your dark beer avitar. bring back the luscious golden amber avatar :prft:

--------->

but i hate the M shaped brake arch most.:rolleyes: its right up there with the marz downhill tire. which the best tread pattern they could come up with was the marz logo.:rolleyes: but hey... if you are a slave to the letter "M", go for it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
All Mountain said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I better post more to smother the forum with that beautiful arch :prft:

I even like it better than maccas arch....
i love the way the marz forks look. once I got suckered in on the looks and the marketing, I bought one once... and I loved it for a few days.

the arch is just a clear giveaway that style in more important then weight. I love the way the crowns look too. great looking forks.

marz is the poster child of tall fork, but i would still make argument against putting a tall fox36 on an ML or an SB.

·
6,360 Posts
Thats Interesting To Me?

demo_slug said:
I hate to be a turd. And by no means am I dogn on yall's set up. But, I'd like to share my viewpoint on this topic.

To me, bottom bracket height is crucial to maximizing handling performance on a mountain bike. Too low and you can't pedal thru rock gardens. Too high and its not as fun to rail corners.

But hey, if you like the monster truck. Then do it. I'm just explaining my view of the trade off.
Theres a few things I can't stand in a Mnt bike and that's flex, too long a wheelbase, but most of all a high BB. Now I have never considered the ML BB to be high, and I look for this. With the standard Fox fork it's 13.5" and that's right at PERFECT! IMO. My first, and really only concern with goiing with a taller fork was, "and particularly a Zoke" was raiseing the BB to much.

Now I don't know what it is but since going with my original AM 1 all the way to my now 07 AM SL 1 is it feels better than ever for hugging corners and just giving me that "in control" confadent feeling. Mabye it's the way the Zoke just huggs the terrain or the stiffness along with the smooth damping but... man it just feels like a BMX bike to me now! I swear I can do any manuver I want, as hard and fast as I want without even a thought of loosing control. I think it was FM mabye that mentioned he liked the fit and feel of a 4X bike or something, but when he said that I thought that's exactly how I feel. Now you can tell me it raises the BB all you want but the fact is I'm just wizzing through sections I used to break for. I mean I never broke much but I hit the bracks when I hit the bracks. But now..... I wish I could explaine it better, I guess I'm tired.

Anyway I'm at a lose. Everything demo say's should be true, but I'm getting "somehow" the opposit?

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
demo_slug said:
I hate on your dark beer avitar. bring back the luscious golden amber avatar :prft:
It's my seasonal, winter beer avatar. I'll change colors when this god-forsaken winter is over. :madmax: It's snowing again tonight. :madman: :madman: :madmax: :madman:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
demo_slug said:

I would also like a lower BB... but keeping the same head angle :devil:

That said... I just would like to point out that Zokes ride a bit lower than other forks (goes hand in hand with the stupid plush feel). I'd love to see numbers of a RIDING ML/SB with a Zoke and Fox compared. I think they would be shy a few mm's to each other.

At least I know the Phaon rode higher than the Zoke for the same travel.

·
6,360 Posts
geolover said:
It's my seasonal, winter beer avatar. I'll change colors when this god-forsaken winter is over. :madmax: It's snowing again tonight. :madman: :madman: :madmax: :madman:
I must say, it's making me ill too.

Now good old watered down american beer aahhhhhhh!

BuTwieser! :thumbsup: :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.