Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of spank oozy 350 wheels in 142x12, Eagle GX drivetrain, Pike fork, and a few leftover parts that I'd like to use to build up a fun geared hardtail. Currently have this setup on my Nimble 9, but I've been missing that bike in it's SS form. A rigid carbon fork and i9/Atomik wheelset would go back on the N9.

Wanting to spend $750 or less, and my first thought was SC Chameleon. Go to the bike shop and am told that they no longer make 142 geared dropouts for the Chameleon.

Geo numbers I'm looking for
HA: 66-67 w/ 120-140 fork
CS: 420ish
STA: 74ish (no extended climbs in florida, so no need for stee sta)
ST Length: 460 or less. this is very important because I have short legs
Reach: 450-460

Not too worried about material or weight. Fun factor is all I really want. Love my N9, but miss it in SS. Stanton makes beautiful bikes with swappable dropouts, but shipping to US blows the budget on this bike.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Yeah, boost adapters work fine from what I hear. Some people glue or shrink-wrap the adapters to the axle to avoid dropping and losing them.

A medium Honzo might do it. The Surly Karate Monkey has a much shorter reach.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Salsa timberjack... 142 compatible with the right dropout plates, singlespeed ready

Also some Surlys
Looked at Surly? I have no idea on the measurements but the rear end can be run 142 or 148. Krampus or such might fit the bill.
Timberjack is too steep. Love the Karate Monkey, but M is too short on reach, L is too long on seat tube. I have a +2" Ape index with shorter inseam. The one thing I hate about my L N9 is that I can only fit a 75mm dropper on it.

Buy some adaptors and take your pick from more modern frames?
Yeah, boost adapters work fine from what I hear. Some people glue or shrink-wrap the adapters to the axle to avoid dropping and losing them.

A medium Honzo might do it. The Surly Karate Monkey has a much shorter reach.
Have people had success running adapted on short CS bikes? This would be ideal if a chain line issue isn't created. Medium Honzo has EXACTLY what I am looking for...

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
I don't see what adapters have to do with the short chainstays. For the chainline, you might need to move your chainring around a bit to center it, depending on the rest of the setup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see what adapters have to do with the short chainstays. For the chainline, you might need to move your chainring around a bit to center it, depending on the rest of the setup.
If you a get a single 6mm spacer, you have to redish wheelset. If you get two 3mm spacers, your chainline moves 3mm. I prefer not having to redish, and as I understand short chainstays magnify chainline issues.

·