Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 29er epic comp that came with the 142+ rear hub. I had it built to a stans wheel set and had my first ride on it yesterday. After 6 miles in I noticed the rear popping. We opened up the internals to the hub and a internal 14 milometer bolt that hold all the parts tight was F-ing broke. Specialized said that they would send out a new bolt pronto (must have had this problem a lot). My question is to you is. Has anybody else had this same problem? Not made at S as long as the new bolt is stronger!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Gotta love feeling like a beta test. Still waiting for a fix for my ill-fillting rear DT Swiss conversion. Essentially I am getting the "talk to the other company" line from both manufacturers involved.....not real happy....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
+1 on the hub not being of the finest quality. My issue is not with the 142 but more so with the seeming lack of communication between the companies, adding the + to the 142 and having only a Roval carbon set that is forever out of stock or the rear hub in question available in the + configuration, putting 140mm mounts on the rear and not having the 160mm adapters in stock for months (forcing consumers to once again figure it out for themselves).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I agree on the weird 142 "+" part. But honestly, you can get any 142 hub and it will work just fine.

I also think the brake adapters should have shipped with the frames... just stupid not to. But, any 160mm to 180mm post mount front fork adapter will work on the rear.... that's the nice thing about post mount, it's exactly the same front or rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
briscoelab said:
I agree on the weird 142 "+" part. But honestly, you can get any 142 hub and it will work just fine.

I also think the brake adapters should have shipped with the frames... just stupid not to. But, any 160mm to 180mm post mount front fork adapter will work on the rear.... that's the nice thing about post mount, it's exactly the same front or rear.
+1000 on the crap hub! I am wanting to go with an american classic 142 hub asap. Still not sure any 142 hub will work though. I think what CHSAD has issues with is the 142?

·
Registered
79 Posts
CHSAD said:
My issue is the DT Axle that I put in the DT240 doesn't push allow for the rotor and brake to align.......At this point I would use the hi-lo hub if I had one....
I bought the DT swiss 240 / 142 hub for a wheelset being built for the Epic 29er S-works frame that I've been waiting forever for. I hope it works. Don't know if getting from DT in this configuration is any different than converting a 135 hub.

·
rider
808 Posts
Yep, that hub is crap especially the freehub. My original post:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=670263
I have my shop replacing the freehub now under warranty. Specialized has recognized the issue.

CHSAD said:
My issue is the DT Axle that I put in the DT240 doesn't push allow for the rotor and brake to align.......At this point I would use the hi-lo hub if I had one....
This is with the DT 142 conversion kit? What do you mean by "doesn't push allow for the rotor and brake to align". My kit worked fine.

Millinium said:
So my question is..... will any wheelset with 9mm x 100 front and rear at 12mm x142 work?? If not what are my options when it comes to changing out the wheels (please keep in mind that I'm a noob)
Yes, I'm running it now.

·
rider
808 Posts
Lafawnduh said:
Swami, is Specialized replacing the free hub on your 142+hi lo rear hub? Did yours fail? Is the free hub replacement a upgrade in any way? Thanks for any info.
Yes, they are replacing the freehub because of failure on my 142+ HiBlow hub. Engagement was horrible and missing and it was making a grinding noise. I can't say that I'm aware of an upgrade. You'd think they replace it with an improved part but no guarantees. I should have it back in a week. Shop said "Specialized just got the part in" maybe that's a good sign that it's reworked??

CHSAD said:
With the wheel inserted in the frame the rotor is to far from the caliper.
Something is not right then with your upgrade. Maybe a part is wrong or spacer wrong. I only had to adjust a hair to get a minor rotor rub silenced. Just so we're comparing apples to apples, I converted a DT Swiss 240 6bolt 135mm with the DT 142x12 kit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.