Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a deal on an old Roval hub that is 142+, what is the difference exactly between 12x142 and 142+? Is it a no-go on non-Spesh frames?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
My understanding is that it has nothing to do with the spacing, dropouts, or axle length. It has to do with the hub flange spacing to get a more centered wheel build. 142+ and 142 are completely interchangeable, however the roval hubs are kinda weak.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Short answer: 142+ hubs will only work on a Specialized frame with 142+ dropouts, but that Specialized frame can use standard 142 or the proprietary 142+ hubl[/URL]
No, not so. 142+ has nothing to do with dropouts, spacing etc. It has to do with the hub flange spacing and as such 142+ and 142 are interchangeable.

·
-bustin punks
692 Posts
This is an old thread, but I just picked up a set of Roval Control Carbon 142Plus wheels (and they are clearly marked 142PLUS on the hub) for my 135mm spaced Niner Air9. I pulled off the stock 12x142 end caps, installed the DT 10x135 (RWS thru bolt/axle) end caps and the wheel slid right in my frame, with plenty of clearance for the cassette lockring.

Now, my bike is set up as a singlespeed with spacers and a single center spaced cog, but it looks like there is plenty of room in there for a full cassette if I chose to run one.

That was not as easy as I was expecting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts