Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't they just fit thru axles.....

Just sold my 18 Rockhopper Comp and bought a 2019 Rockhopper Pro.

I like matte black bikes.

The chisel comp is red this year in the Uk....urgh.

Anyway the rear is Boost QR 141

Are these the same size as 135 skewers just not tightened up as much.

Reason why I ask is because if I want to upgrade my wheels with DT Swiss hubs and a thru bolt instead?

TIA

Graham

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Why can't they just fit thru axles.....

Just sold my 18 Rockhopper Comp and bought a 2019 Rockhopper Pro.

I like matte black bikes.

The chisel comp is red this year in the Uk....urgh.

Anyway the rear is Boost QR 141

Are these the same size as 135 skewers just not tightened up as much.

Reason why I ask is because if I want to upgrade my wheels with DT Swiss hubs and a thru bolt instead?

TIA

Graham
No. 141mm skewers are actually longer than 135mm skewers.

Hubs with swappable end caps should be able to be converted easily enough. Just buy boost hubs and the relevant end caps. The difficulty will probably wind up being the thru bolt length (I'm assuming you want to use an RWS thru bolt?).

It's rather difficult to find replacement 141mm skewers, let alone thru bolts made to these dimensions.

If you want to do the wheel upgrade, you could go ahead and do it, get the qr end caps (AND the thru bolt end caps), and use your existing qr until you find someone making a compatible thru bolt. Then install the thru bolt end caps and swap the rest of the way over.

And as for why not thru axles? Thru axles (and their hardware) are more expensive than qr stuff. So frame manufacturers insisted on a wider qr interface for cost reasons. On a hardtail, this isn't really a big deal. But I'd never buy a full suspension again with a qr.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.