Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just got a Norco Fluid HT+ with a 141 qr rear wheel. So the question is, can I replace the wheelset if I wanted to? If so, to what? 15x142? How? I called Norco and they have no idea so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
The link in the other link made it sound like you could use boost hubs from i9 and a couple others in this 141mm spaced monstrosity by using their QR end caps. This hub standard is kind of stupid and pointless compared to what's out there. Probably cost more for machining their assembly line than they'll ever earn on aftermarket support and parts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm... I bet you could JB Weld (or have someone tig weld) a TA thread into the aluminum and run a 142x12 TA. You're talking 1mm difference, so .5mm off on either side. You'd easily be able to adjust the brake caliper to offset any spacing issues on the rotor, and it's a negligible amount in terms of chainline. It's not like .5mm of lateral flex within the rear triangle is going to do any damage. The only hesitation would be expanding the dropouts to accommodate the 12mm skewer.

Not sure how feasible this is in the long run, though. You're going to be into a 12x142 skewer alone for $50+shipping. Plus it'll make your current hub incompatible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 141 QR hub is a Boost spacing.

Here is the best way to explain it:
142mm x 12mm thru axle spacing in QR version is a 135mm QR. 148mm x 12mm Boost spacing in QR version is 141mm QR Boost. This way we get the benefits of boost in a QR version. Notice that there is a total of 7mm difference between a 142/135 and a 148/141, that is because in order to make it thru axle 3.5mm TA spacers are added to QR hubs to make them TA hubs. With Boost the thru axle came first so to bring out a 141mm QR after is a bit confusing.

Boost benefits:
- Tire clearance
- Shorter chainstays
- Better chain line

If you wanted to upgrade your hub to a hub with interchangeable end caps you will need to use a 148 x 12 TA hub and switch the end caps out to the QR option. Example is a DT Swiss 350 148x12. Pop the TA end caps off and put on the QR caps then you have a 141mm QR higher end hub.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Guys, so I'm looking at a set of Stans 142TA wheels and would get the Stans QR endcaps. So now I need an adapter kit to convert from 142 to 148? Like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Velofuze+rear+adapter

I know this seems complicated but the Stans wheelset is super cheap ($200). It's a 28mm outer width rim, so will they be too narrow to run a 2.8" Rekon tire? The bike came with 35mm rims.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
This^. Have to start with a boost hub that has replicable end caps, and is part of a family line with non-boost hubs where QR end caps are available.

I'd keep looking. If you get that wheelset, you'll need to replace the hubs and sell the stock ones, which really defeats the purpose of buying a wheelset on sale.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guys, so I'm looking at a set of Stans 142TA wheels and would get the Stans QR endcaps. So now I need an adapter kit to convert from 142 to 148? Like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N...236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Velofuze+rear+adapter

I know this seems complicated but the Stans wheelset is super cheap ($200). It's a 28mm outer width rim, so will they be too narrow to run a 2.8" Rekon tire? The bike came with 35mm rims.

Thanks!
2.8" tires require 30mm inner width or more, even 30mm is pushing it. Best is 35mm. If you run a 2.8" with a 28mm rim then the tire will not sit correctely and if you go into a turn the tire will potentially fold off the rim.

For the end caps you will have to start with a 148 and then switch to QR end caps if you want a hub upgrade. The stock hub is pretty good and reliable. Are you have ing issues with it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thank you all so much for the info. You just saved me a bunch of money and even more frustration. For the price of the bike I was figuring the wheelset would be a brick but they came in at a respectable 2340g.

Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I was kinda wondering what was up with the stock ones too. 2,340 isn't great, but considering the rim width, it's acceptable. The tire weight of plus tires can quickly increase the rolling weight too. First wheelset on my first bike had weighted upwards of 2,600grams, plus some 700+gram tires. It didn't accelerate very well, but it rolled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 141 QR hub is a Boost spacing.

Here is the best way to explain it:
142mm x 12mm thru axle spacing in QR version is a 135mm QR. 148mm x 12mm Boost spacing in QR version is 141mm QR Boost. This way we get the benefits of boost in a QR version. Notice that there is a total of 7mm difference between a 142/135 and a 148/141, that is because in order to make it thru axle 3.5mm TA spacers are added to QR hubs to make them TA hubs. With Boost the thru axle came first so to bring out a 141mm QR after is a bit confusing.

Boost benefits:
- Tire clearance
- Shorter chainstays
- Better chain line

If you wanted to upgrade your hub to a hub with interchangeable end caps you will need to use a 148 x 12 TA hub and switch the end caps out to the QR option. Example is a DT Swiss 350 148x12. Pop the TA end caps off and put on the QR caps then you have a 141mm QR higher end hub.

Hope that helps.
I am in the same predicament, wanting to buy some aftermarket carbon wheels but have the dreaded Norco Fluid with 141 QR Boost.

I just want to confirm to be 100% sure, if I buy wheels with rear DT SWISS 350 12x148mm BOOST hub, and then I can convert to to fit 141mm QR with this?

DT Swiss Conversion Kit 12mm to QR Rear | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am in the same predicament, wanting to buy some aftermarket carbon wheels but have the dreaded Norco Fluid with 141 QR Boost.

I just want to confirm to be 100% sure, if I buy wheels with rear DT SWISS 350 12x148mm BOOST hub, and then I can convert to to fit 141mm QR with this?

DT Swiss Conversion Kit 12mm to QR Rear | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks in advance
Should be fine. The 141 QR should not be dreaded. It will be the new standard for all QR MTB within the next two years.142x12 and 135 QR will be gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there!
I’m in the same situation... my Skott Spark 760 has (I think) Fotmula hub CT1702. 141*5 QR I want to replace cassette to SRAM XG and looked for XD Driver for it.. nothing.. I saw some guys recommended replace the Hub + ends for QR , spacers, etc. It’s no good for my wallet but whatever.....I’m not a mechanic. If anywhere can help me, I’ll be appropriate, tell me what I need for replace hub 141x5 freehub driver for better quality with XD driver.
Thanks a lot

·
Formerly of Kent
13,080 Posts
Hi there!
I'm in the same situation... my Skott Spark 760 has (I think) Fotmula hub CT1702. 141*5 QR I want to replace cassette to SRAM XG and looked for XD Driver for it.. nothing.. I saw some guys recommended replace the Hub + ends for QR , spacers, etc. It's no good for my wallet but whatever.....I'm not a mechanic. If anywhere can help me, I'll be appropriate, tell me what I need for replace hub 141x5 freehub driver for better quality with XD driver.
Thanks a lot
No. You have a 142x12 hub.

You need a Formula XD freehub, 142x12.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. You have a 142x12 hub.

You need a Formula XD freehub, 142x12.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
You mean my hub 142x12 just QR? Scott tech support tell me 141x5. I'm confused...

P.s. i can't find it.. I wrote to Formula support. Don't answer. Also I can't find this model on his website, obviously CT 1702 is Scott part number

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.