Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Trail Bomber
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding the front range, Pueblo, Fruita, Grand Junction, and plan on riding some parks as well this year. I ride more down than up, ride black and double black trails more often than not, enjoy jumping over and off big rock drops. The bike handles it really well, and still gives me pedal efficiency when I need it. However, the front fork, no matter how much we tune it (Revelation 140mm 32mm) doesn't ride as well as te rest of the bike. I have pretty much made up my mind on getting the new Pike, but I am torn between a 140mm and a 150. I would almost prefer a slacker head tube, but at the same time the bike is really planted when pointed down. The reason I would go for more travel is to make it better for large table tops & doubles, rock drops in excess of 6 feet, and bombing through rock gardens. My hesitiation lies in hearing horror stories of people ruining their bikes by putting on a fork that really dooesn't belong. Anyone have any ideas?!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have heard that you can "carefully" trim the air shaft on the SOLO Air cartridge down by 10 mm if needed, so it seems you could get a 150 and trim it if needed. (or replace the the whole air shaft with a shorter one)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go for the 140 - improved performance of the fork will provide the confidence you are looking for without jacking up the geometry too much.

·
Trail Bomber
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After talking to alot of people I am going to go with the 150mm, and if it is too much, for $30ish i can swap it to a 140mm. I rode a specialized enduro with a 150mm pike yesturday and it was SICK. Cant wait.

·
Trail Bomber
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a follow up... I went with a 150mm Pike and having had it almost a whole season... it was AMAZING. Recommend...make sure you get a 51mm offset version for Trek's

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Too late now, but why not get a dual air ? I run a 160/130 on my E29 and its perfect. Climbs and maneuvers XC style, and can slack out for DH. A lot of trails I don't even raise it to 160 cuz I like the quicker feel of the bike and it STILL HAS 5" of travel.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Justin Leov rode a 150mm fork this season for the EWS.
Not sure about TMo
Most moved to a 160mm Fox 36

Too late now, but why not get a dual air ? I run a 160/130 on my E29 and its perfect. Climbs and maneuvers XC style, and can slack out for DH. A lot of trails I don't even raise it to 160 cuz I like the quicker feel of the bike and it STILL HAS 5" of travel.
Can't run tokens with Dual air. I found with my 160mm pike It climbed just fine without needing to drop the travel. being able to use tokens was amazing with tuning that thing

Is the Pike shock a huge difference from stock Revelation fork?
Yes, a VERY huge difference.

I have Remedy 8 29", but I ordered RS Pike 160 DPA with 48mm offset.

Why is so important to get 51mm version? Is it only because of the handling?
Would 48mm offset not fit to my Trek Remedy frame?
It's gonna steer a little different. Trek built the Geo of their bikes off a 51mm fork.
The fork will fit. just may feel different than you are used to at speeds. The steering will feel faster Kind of like riding a bike with a 71* HA vs a 67* HA

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's gonna steer a little different. Trek built the Geo of their bikes off a 51mm fork.
The fork will fit. just may feel different than you are used to at speeds. The steering will feel faster Kind of like riding a bike with a 71* HA vs a 67* HA
Well it's going to feel different anyway as I'd like to extend the fork's travel from 140 to 160.

What do you think would have more effect on steering: different offset or extended travel? (choose one :) )

·
kabouterclan member
499 Posts
Check the warranty policy first. Wpuld it void warranty if you'd run a 20 mm longer fork?

Furthermore: The Remedy 29 already has a high bottom bracket: 350 mm with the minolink in lowest position. Running a 20mm longer fork will give it a VERY high bottom bracket.

I have a Remedy 29 carbon frame on order and will build it with a 150/120 mm Pike Dual Position with the 51 mm offset. :)

·
kabouterclan member
499 Posts

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Check the warranty policy first. Wpuld it void warranty if you'd run a 20 mm longer fork?

Furthermore: The Remedy 29 already has a high bottom bracket: 350 mm with the minolink in lowest position. Running a 20mm longer fork will give it a VERY high bottom bracket.

I have a Remedy 29 carbon frame on order and will build it with a 150/120 mm Pike Dual Position with the 51 mm offset. :)
To me, this is basically the only reason I don't own a Remedy. I can get the head angle where I want it (between 66.5° and 67°), but the BB is 14" high static. I can get the bottom bracket down where I want it, but that would be through stuffing a 7.5x2.0" shock on it and reducing travel to 130mm, or running offset bushings and having the rear tire rubbing on the seatpost incessantly.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
To me, this is basically the only reason I don't own a Remedy. I can get the head angle where I want it (between 66.5° and 67°), but the BB is 14" high static. I can get the bottom bracket down where I want it, but that would be through stuffing a 7.5x2.0" shock on it and reducing travel to 130mm, or running offset bushings and having the rear tire rubbing on the seatpost incessantly.
Have you spent any time on one? I wouldn't want the BB any lower. The bike handles great. If you didn't look at the numbers and just hoped on the bike, I think some bikes would fool you and the remedy is one of them. It hasn't followed some of the latest trends but it rips. It still has a good balance of xc and aggressive am riding, not leaning to one or the other. A friend said that kind of sounds boring, but not on the trail

1 - 20 of 21 Posts