Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up a 2008 5.5 evp frame that I built up quick with parts I had lying around. I was mostly riding a steel 29er hardtail and I had a Heckler that I never really warmed up to. Got this 5.5evp and I really like it so far. It feels quick like an XC bike, not clunky at all, and it works great for seated climbing. I had a question about the maximum travel for the front. I'm using a Pike coil that's dialed down to 130mm because I was under the impression that it took a 100-130 fork. I also have a 36 TALAS (which was on the Heckler I mentioned). I could adjust that travel down to 130 also. I'm thinking of switching to the 36 because of my weight (between 240-250 lbs). But just in case I keep the Pike, is it okay to run it at 140?

Oh, and here's a pic of the build:

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I had my 5.5, I initially had it set-up with a Minute 2 (130mm). It always felt skittish due to the steep HT. Later, I installed an '07 Fox Float (140mm) and IMHO, it felt like that was the fork that the 5.5 was made for.

I'm not sure on the axle to crown measurements between the RS Pike and Fox forks, but you should be totally fine with the Pike on there at 140mm.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
HA looks really steep in that pic for some reason, but it also looks like you're on a slight slope downward too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
looks steep because the crown offset is small.

I run a 32 TALAS on mine and it feels juuuuuuust right. :) and the offset is larger than your Pike.

IMO you should put the 36 on there and run it at 140...except on the climbs, that is.

You also may consider a crown race for a slacker HA.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have an '07 5.5 with a 32 float (140) at 28.5 lbs, and I just finished building a Titus El Guapo with a 36 Talas at 31.5 lbs. I know the differences in frame geometry and suspension affect the feel of each, but my 5.5 handles much like you say - light, quick, XCish, & snappy, whereas the EG is more like a Hummer, just rolls over everything with ease and with a very solid feel - but it's definitely not "snappy". I think that has a little bit to do with the extra weight of the 36 fork (and the bike overall). IMHO, If you want to retain the light, quick feel, you might consider sticking with the 32.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got my large 5.5 set up with a 09 revelation dual air 140mm TA. I was previously running a coil 130 revelation U-turn QR. The 140 feels much better than the 130. IMO, it balances the bike out very nicely and the TA adds enough stiffness to bomb through rough stuff. I think my Fat Albert 2.4 tire up front and I9 hubs laced to 5.1Ds probably helps a bit too :).

Unless you're doing a lot of steep techy downs, the TALAS 160 may be too much. I'd say rock the Pike at 140 and lower it for the climbs if necessary, I don't miss the u-turn at all with the 140 Rev.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Simon Adams said:
I run mine with a 140mm Fox and it rides really well.
Ditto! I had Magura Laurin FCR 130mm and hated how much brake dive it had. I then switched to the Fox TALAS 140mm and added a 5mm King base plate space and I love how its slacken the HA. I believe the early bikes before about 06-07 were 130mm but the newer ones came standard with 140mm. I could be wrong so someone who knows more than me can fill you in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna stick with the Pike and try it out at 140. I already rode it at 130 and really liked it. This way is more cost effective because I can sell the 36 and use the cash to get a new rear wheel. Thanks again for all your wisdom.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I've had a 145mm. Nixon Super on my 5point5 for about three years and wouldn't want it any other way. It's a fixed travel fork too.

Ronnie.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.