Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating between a Yeti SB95 and a Fuel EX.
Head angle on Yeti is 68.5, Fuel EX is 69.5.

I come from an XC racer background. I want a fun bike. I feel like a 69.5 HA is too XC.

I greatly enjoyed the Remedy when I demoed it. For an all day bike with an XC racer background however I think I'll get fed up with the slight sluggishness of the 140mm travel...and 68 HA seemed just a little too slack for slow speed trails.

Yeti SB95 seems perfect but no bidon cage for those short trail bursts. Silly!

So, Fuel EX with 140mm fork. Slackens HA to ~68.5. Rear end should be about right efficiency wise and I end up mildly weight weenie with frame weight over Remedy and SB95.

Anyone done it? Thoughts, experiences? Talk me out of putting a 140mm Pike on the XO1 Fuel EX.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could always use a travel adjustable pike. I believe one is 110/140mm in the 29" models.
A 140 pike isn't a lot taller than the 120mm fox float that comes on a fuel anyway iirc, so it may not prop it up as high as it will seem as the a/c length isn't as long. I think it would be fine either way, and I would like to do something similar with my fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel EX 29 with Pike 150/120mm dpa

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Here is my EX 8 with a dualposition RS Pike. Works great in both 120 and 150 setting. So far no negatives apart from the pike not locking out quite as good as the fox 32 ctd. Then again that is no real concern for me. Quite a big improvement from the original Fox fork. Stiffer, plusher and not much of a weight penalty really.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have an x-fusion trace on mine that you can set internally at 120 or 140.

Have tried both and was kind of mixed on the 140 setting. Coming on a Stache (same fork set at 120), it felt a little more like that when climbing with the slightly slacker head angle and was kind of mixed on the downhills. Set it back at 120 for the time being and feels a bit more neutral all around (more cross-country) but will probably go back to 140 at some point.

FYI the differences I think are fairly subtle and not sure if a 140 fork will save you if you get into some hairy situations but, but if you're thinking about trying it I'd say something that's adjustable either internally or externally is a good choice (Trace is an awesome fork by the way, pretty simple to change travel if you've ever changed seals on a fork, waaaay stiffer than a 32mm stanchion and definitely better dampening than any fox float I've ridden).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.