Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my pike u-turn questions settled in the shock section and i am sattisfied with my choice. however i was originaly looking at a frame taking a 140mm travel fork as ideal setup, most 5.5" rides. trouble is the 2006 s-works enduro frame is selling at such a good price i might just have to go for it. researching what fork is fitted to the upper spec ranges i see it is fitted with 120-150mm fork. lbs says a 140mm fork will do, but how much am i sacrificng. i am particularily interest in head angle and lengh of travel.
the pike is at upper end of my budget and going to 150mm probably too big a jump in cost.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
A Pike will do just fine. You are only sacrificing about .5 degree change in your head angle in doing so. And a 150mm fork won't necessarily be any more expensive. You might just have to settle on less adjustments.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have done some research and found 2006 zochi AM1 and AM SL forks that fit my budget and in fact are cheaper than the pikes. but, the AM forks are QR and the pikes are 20mm bolt through. considering its for and enuro ie all mountain do i need to be concerned about stiffness issues? the benefit of the pikes is they turn down to 95mm so i can run them on my hard tail for a couple o months till i get all my parts for the full build.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Eeew. Don't go w/ any of the Marzocchi forks once you get to the All Mountain category and below. They all are tanks for the intended use, and feel like crap.

But, I would recommend using a 20mm thru. You will feel the difference in everything that you run into.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe thats why i didnt see any weights posted for the marz forks, tanks you say.
well sounds like the pike would be better even at a little less travel and .5 degree angle discrepency.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Yeah, the ride characteristics won't change much. You might just notice a slight change in sharper turning, but that can be a good thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah 140mm forks will be great. I've got an 05 Enduro with Nixon Elites (115-145mm travel) 140mm of travel is fine, and the ability to U-Turn your travel down and sharpen thigs up can make a nice difference to climbing and sharp turn handling. So go for the Pikes :thumbsup: , I'm looking at some myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.