Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make an all mountain rig for my girlfriend and wanted your thoughts on putting a 140mm fork on an anthem 27.5.

Will it mess up the steering a lot or could I put in a spacer to reduce the travel a little.

Or will it be fine as an all mountain job

I am trying to find a frame on ebay or the likes. If anyone knows of a better frame around 1200-1500 let me know please. (Ii already have the fork, wheels and drive train and would love to make them work)

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Anthem w/140 fork does not = AM machine. Yes she will be able to ride "all over the mountain" with it, but.... Agree with above, Trance is probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I agree, a trance would be ideal. I was only asking because I found a cheap anthem frame on ebay. I would prefer her to be on a trance or remedy

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
yes I agree, a trance would be ideal. I was only asking because I found a cheap anthem frame on ebay. I would prefer her to be on a trance or remedy
Don't get me wrong, the Anthem @ 100, even 120 travel with some descent tires does great. I have a ride buddy who has an Anthem 27.5 set @ 100 and a Trance 26 who kills it up and down on both, but goes to the Trance on more AM riding as you've described. I myself have a newer Superlight 100mm travel XC bike with 650B/27.5" wheels (~same as the Anthem) that I will be putting a 120mm fork and a little beefier tyres on soon which will give me all I need for the aggressive XC/light AM riding I feel comfortable enough to take on at my 57 yo body allows. :)

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm still rocking 100mm up front on my Anthem but I have no issues other than the occasional pedal strike compared to my 650b nickel. I know that when I go to 120mm up front though that I will be able to ride anything I could on the nickel that was running 130mm

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am more just trying to find any economical priced frame to put the parts I already have on it.
I stripped my remedy 9.8 and want to use the parts on another frame for her

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I am more just trying to find any economical priced frame to put the parts I already have on it.
I stripped my remedy 9.8 and want to use the parts on another frame for her
We get that. ;) Did you get a feel from Giant Tech Q&A on what they think about a 140 on the Anthems? Maybe it's not a big deal but would assume they'll have some sort of "CYA" response to your inquiry. I know on the SC Superlights they are designed 100-120 fork travel but I've seen some and a ride buddy had a 140mm on his for ever and had no issues other than the flip-flop wandering while climbing some steeper inclines. And you didn't mention what fork came off or if a 650 Remedy. Straight/tapered steer? If a FOX, can't you reduce travel by10-15-20mm's to accommodate the Anthems' geo?

Just $0.02 more info.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. that is why i am asking questions on this forum. i didnt think about the tapered steer tube. thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts