Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up an 06 Ellsworth Epiphany (with Rock Shox ME3.3 if that matters). I was planning to put an 07 Fox Vanilla RLC on it. Fox from late December until January 15 and is currently out of stock. They said they are out of stock and that they won’t be shipping any for a few weeks (whatever that means).

Should I be considering a different fork from Marzocchi, RockShox or Manitou (are they still a going concern). I definitely want to stay with coil springs, so let’s not get into that debate.

I am 195 lbs and ride typical SoCal XC. I don’t do big jumps or drop-offs. I just want a nice smooth, controlled ride.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Outside!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
None anywhere??

There are no Fox Vanilla RLC forks to be found anywhere? I'm confused about this one. My guess is that with some searching you'll find an online vendor or LBS with a web presence that can supply you with the fork.

Bob

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Jenson have them listed and they say "Ships today!"

That said, why should Manitou not be a going concern?:confused: Manitou Minute Elite and Comp are pretty good forks. I'm assuming you're looking for 140mm. travel. The Elite has SPV (platform) damping and the Comp TPC.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
There are no Fox Vanilla RLC forks to be found anywhere? I'm confused about this one. My guess is that with some searching you'll find an online vendor or LBS with a web presence that can supply you with the fork.

Bob
Clyde,

I have only looked at Push, and they are out of stock. I am not interested in an 06 Vanilla since it is 130mm, the 07 is 140mm. Even if I did find one, it probably would not be at the deep discount that I am getting from my LBS for the package deal with the frame. My current bike is fully functional (knock on wood) so I am not desperate for a bike. I was just interested in input on other forks.

The Marzocchi All Mountain 2 (coil with air assist and ETA) sounds like a great fork, until I read the reviews on the 06. Not very inspiring. I am planning on using a 203mm Avid BB7 cable actuated disc on the front. I don't know if they play well with post mounts.

The Pike 454 may be a contender, but I need to research a little. FSRXC recommended the Nixon. I will research this fork also.

Thanks all!

Outside!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
outside! said:
I am planning on using a 203mm Avid BB7 cable actuated disc on the front. I don't know if they play well with post mounts.

The Pike 454 may be a contender, but I need to research a little. FSRXC recommended the Nixon. I will research this fork also.
There is absolutely no problem using a 203mm. rotor with post mount. I had one with my Nixon for a long time. The new Nixon are available in both 160mm. and 145mm. but only 20mm. hex. axle. The coil version is RTWD, adjustable travel between 115 and 145mm.

Ronnie.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
The new Manitou Minute Elite is a pretty awesome fork too. 140mm with either 20mm or QR, TPC+ dampening and lightweight.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
mattsavage said:
The new Manitou Minute Elite is a pretty awesome fork too. 140mm with either 20mm or QR, TPC+ dampening and lightweight.
According to the website the Elite is SPV only. The picture also has a red SPV valve on it and is a new 2007 fork. Then again the Answer website is in need of some serious editing and you may be correct.

Ronnie.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Ronnie said:
According to the website the Elite is SPV only. The picture also has a red SPV valve on it and is a new 2007 fork. Then again the Answer website is in need of some serious editing and you may be correct.

Ronnie.
Ugh... You're right... I had Nixon on my mind. But, with RTWD it, the Nixon, can hit the 140mm mark no problem and has a 20mm axle.

On the subject of Minutes, the new Comp looks pretty cool with a fixed travel of 140mm, the new 2 stage spring rate, and a 20mm axle, TPC for those SPV haters out there...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I ended up ordering the 07 RS Pike 454 Coil U-turn. I have been riding Manitou forks since I got an original Manitou from Doug Bradbury (sp?). The fact that the Manitou website still references 05 forks basically put them out of contention. If there is not enough money to update the site for two years, there may not be enough money to pay for QA. I was tempted by the Marzocchi All Mountain II, but there were too many bad reviews on the 06's. The Pike has very few poor reviews and many recommendations. Since I had to spec 20mm compatible wheels, I settled on the Easton Havocs. The original designer (Clark Rasmussen of Mission Bay Wheel Co.) showed me the prototypes many years ago and I have always been intrigued.

Thanks again. I will post a follow up review after a few weeks in the saddle. Should tentatively be building the bike next week.

Outside!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
outside! said:
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I ended up ordering the 07 RS Pike 454 Coil U-turn. I have been riding Manitou forks since I got an original Manitou from Doug Bradbury (sp?). The fact that the Manitou website still references 05 forks basically put them out of contention. If there is not enough money to update the site for two years, there may not be enough money to pay for QA. I was tempted by the Marzocchi All Mountain II, but there were too many bad reviews on the 06's. The Pike has very few poor reviews and many recommendations. Since I had to spec 20mm compatible wheels, I settled on the Easton Havocs. The original designer (Clark Rasmussen of Mission Bay Wheel Co.) showed me the prototypes many years ago and I have always been intrigued.

Thanks again. I will post a follow up review after a few weeks in the saddle. Should tentatively be building the bike next week.

Outside!
Congrats on the Pike... I love mine....

regarding Manitou, the website is missing some things, but the lineup seems mostly up-to-date http://www.answerproducts.com/depts.asp?deptid=1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.